Author Topic: DNG issues in PM Preview  (Read 13205 times)

Offline pdphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
DNG issues in PM Preview
« on: July 18, 2006, 11:24:57 AM »
Hi - First post here! I have encountered an issue when trying to Preview Raw/DNG files from the Contact Sheet - the image remains pixilated as well as other oddities such as not opening from the Contact Sheet when double clicked.
As with all these things it's a matter process of elimination and a desire to solve the problem!
The issue occurs when I want to Preview Ricoh GR .dng files.
The GR generates .jpgs along side the .dng/Raw so I loaded these and all PM functionality returned!
Strange as Adobe is really pushing the .dng format as the industry standard - so it looks like PM doesn't like this format for the moment, one hopes!
Any clues . . .

Paul.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: DNG issues in PM Preview
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 11:42:06 AM »
Paul,

Hi - First post here! I have encountered an issue when trying to Preview Raw/DNG files from the Contact Sheet - the image remains pixilated as well as other oddities such as not opening from the Contact Sheet when double clicked.
As with all these things it's a matter process of elimination and a desire to solve the problem!
The issue occurs when I want to Preview Ricoh GR .dng files.
The GR generates .jpgs along side the .dng/Raw so I loaded these and all PM functionality returned!
Strange as Adobe is really pushing the .dng format as the industry standard - so it looks like PM doesn't like this format for the moment, one hopes!

Photo Mechanic fully supports DNG files.  But if your DNG file only has a low resolution preview in it, then that's all we can show.  When you convert your Ricoh RAW files to DNG make sure you have the DNG Converter create high resolution previews.  Then it should work fine.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline pdphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 12:01:57 PM »
Hi Kirk,

The Ricoh GR Raw files are in fact DNGs straight out of the camera.
Any clues?

Paul.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 12:14:37 PM »
Paul,

Any clues?

Is there some setting inside your camera that will allow you to choose the size of the preview?  If so, make it larger.

Otherwise, we can only show the preview that is in the DNG file, and if it is low resolution, it will be low resolution inside of Photo Mechanic.  We don't render DNG files.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 12:50:24 PM »
Paul,

Could you upload one of your files so we can take a look at it?  Contact me privately for server upload information.

-Kirk

Offline pdphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 01:04:23 PM »
Hi Kirk, I have run the already DNG files through Abobe's DNG converter and now PM works. Strangely the files show the wron colour space ie sRGB rather than Adobe RGB (1998)! As a newbie - how do I contact you directly? No problem to upload a file - but how?
Paul.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 01:10:05 PM »
Paul,

Hi Kirk, I have run the already DNG files through Abobe's DNG converter and now PM works. Strangely the files show the wron colour space ie sRGB rather than Adobe RGB (1998)! As a newbie - how do I contact you directly? No problem to upload a file - but how?

Just click on my name to the left of this message and send me a message through the forums.

-Kirk

Offline pdphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 02:31:03 PM »
Hi Kirk, Trying to upload file via Fetch. Connects but Incoming folder shows as Incoming-is-disabled and when I try to transfer I get a Server responded - permission denied - warning . . .
Paul.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 02:34:09 PM »
Paul,

Hi Kirk, Trying to upload file via Fetch. Connects but Incoming folder shows as Incoming-is-disabled and when I try to transfer I get a Server responded - permission denied - warning . . .

You cannot open the "incoming" folder.  Just drop your file onto it.  It will upload into the incoming folder.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline ollinger

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 10:00:38 AM »
Hello Kirk,

I have excatly the same problem with my Ricoh GXR DNG Files. The preview looks absolutely pixelated whereas a Preview of my Jpgs look totally fine. The strange thing is when I open the DNGs for example with FastPictureViewer the previews look perfect! Any ideas how to solve this problem? Is there a specific setting in PM that I missed?

Thanks and best regards, Oliver

Paul,

You cannot open the "incoming" folder.  Just drop your file onto it.  It will upload into the incoming folder.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 10:40:44 AM »
Oliver,

I have excatly the same problem with my Ricoh GXR DNG Files. The preview looks absolutely pixelated whereas a Preview of my Jpgs look totally fine. The strange thing is when I open the DNGs for example with FastPictureViewer the previews look perfect! Any ideas how to solve this problem? Is there a specific setting in PM that I missed?

I suspect that your DNG files do not have high-resolution previews in them and that "FastPictureViewer" is rendering the RAW data in the DNG file.  Photo Mechanic does not render DNG files.

You can update the previews in your DNG files with Adobe's free DNG Converter program and you can use PM 5 to perform the conversion once you tell PM where the DNG Converter application is.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Convert_RAW_to_DNG...:

-Kirk

Offline ollinger

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 11:47:31 AM »
Hi Kirk,

thanks for your quick answer. I'll try this out, seems promising:-)
Cheers, Oliver

Offline Nescio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 01:07:39 AM »
Hi ,

I simply set my ricoh gr to DNG & jpg mode,  so I have big previews and with PM I only copy the DNG files to my computer