Author Topic: Set GPS questions  (Read 8226 times)

Offline dandill

• View Profile
Set GPS questions
« on: April 03, 2009, 06:34:44 PM »
Using PM 4.5.1 0328 on Windows XP SP2.

Image > Set GPS Coordinates...
Accept Location (right pane) does not fill in data in left pane.
Show on Map (left pane) does not update location in right pane.
Both Sync map and Sync GPS are checked.

Edit > Settings > Set GPS home...

This is for both DNG and CR2 files.
For DNG, "When writing IPTX/XMP" is set to "Add both ..."
for TIFF-based RAW is set to "Don't update embedded ..." (I don't want to touch the original CR2).

Dan Dill

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Set GPS questions
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 07:53:44 PM »
Dan,

Using PM 4.5.1 0328 on Windows XP SP2.

Image > Set GPS Coordinates...
Show on Map (left pane) does not update location in right pane.
Both Sync map and Sync GPS are checked.

Edit > Settings > Set GPS home...

This is for both DNG and CR2 files.
For DNG, "When writing IPTX/XMP" is set to "Add both ..."
for TIFF-based RAW is set to "Don't update embedded ..." (I don't want to touch the original CR2).

What happens if you work with JPEGs?  Does any of the above work properly?

-Kirk

Offline dandill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 08:54:53 AM »
What happens if you work with JPEGs?  Does any of the above work properly?

I can't get things to work with jpg's either.

PM sees the GPS data stamped on the dng, cr2 and jpg files (using another tool), but neither "Show on map" nor "Accept location" seem to be working.

Dan

Offline dandill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 07:39:15 AM »
Using PM 4.5.1 0403 on Windows XP SP2, I get the same behavior as initially reported above.

However, on Vista SP1 things seem to be working on individual jpg's. On dng's, if I work with a single image, Apply does not seem to work. However, if I use the left/right arrows to go through a group of selected images, then Apply works.

I'll see if using left/right arrows has an effect on XP, when I am at that machine later today.

Dan Dill

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 08:11:18 AM »
Dan,

Using PM 4.5.1 0403 on Windows XP SP2, I get the same behavior as initially reported above.

However, on Vista SP1 things seem to be working on individual jpg's. On dng's, if I work with a single image, Apply does not seem to work. However, if I use the left/right arrows to go through a group of selected images, then Apply works.

I'll see if using left/right arrows has an effect on XP, when I am at that machine later today.

Any news on this issue?

-Kirk

Offline dandill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 02:11:23 PM »
On XP SP2, I am unable to get "Accept Location" to copy coordinates, for either .cr2 or .jpg files.

Dan Dill

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 02:19:18 PM »
Dan,

On XP SP2, I am unable to get "Accept Location" to copy coordinates, for either .cr2 or .jpg files.

Does the map work, or is it blank?  Do you have some sort of firewall enabled on your system, or have some tighter security restrictions enabled in Internet Explorer on your system?

-Kirk

Offline dandill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 02:30:40 PM »
Does the map work, or is it blank?  Do you have some sort of firewall enabled on your system, or have some tighter security restrictions enabled in Internet Explorer on your system?

The map works just as it should, as far as I can tell. What doesn't work is getting a location from the right (Map) panel the left (Coordinates) panel.

I use Sunbelt Personal Firewall, and disabling it has no effect. I use the same firewall on the Vista SP1 system, on which GPS tools seem to be working.

Dan Dill

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 04:08:53 PM »
Dan,

The map works just as it should, as far as I can tell. What doesn't work is getting a location from the right (Map) panel the left (Coordinates) panel.

I use Sunbelt Personal Firewall, and disabling it has no effect. I use the same firewall on the Vista SP1 system, on which GPS tools seem to be working.

Do you have JavaScript disabled on your system that isn't behaving properly?  Can you compare the Internet Explorer settings side-by-side on the two systems?

-Kirk

Offline dandill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 05:09:27 PM »

Do you have JavaScript disabled on your system that isn't behaving properly?  Can you compare the Internet Explorer settings side-by-side on the two systems?

I use Firefox by default on both systems, and JavaScript is enabled with it on both.

I should say, however, that Internet Explorer on the XP system does not seem to be installed quite right; upgrade to IE 8 has failed repeatedly. Since I do not use it, I have not tried to sort it out.

Dan Dill

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 06:18:04 PM »
Dan,

I use Firefox by default on both systems, and JavaScript is enabled with it on both.

I should say, however, that Internet Explorer on the XP system does not seem to be installed quite right; upgrade to IE 8 has failed repeatedly. Since I do not use it, I have not tried to sort it out.

That is likely the problem.  Photo Mechanic uses an instance of Internet Explorer to do its maps.  If you can get it installed properly, then I think everything should work fine.  We can't use FireFox since (as far as I know) they don't have the ability to provide an instance of the browser for other applications.

-Kirk

Offline dandill

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 05:22:06 AM »
That is likely the problem.  Photo Mechanic uses an instance of Internet Explorer to do its maps.  If you can get it installed properly, then I think everything should work fine.  We can't use FireFox since (as far as I know) they don't have the ability to provide an instance of the browser for other applications.

Thanks for this sleuthing. If I manage to get IE sorted out, I'll report further.

Dan