Author Topic: More Preview weirdness...this time involves NX2  (Read 6637 times)

Offline Les Doerfler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
More Preview weirdness...this time involves NX2
« on: April 07, 2009, 08:25:07 AM »
I was working on some NEF files last night in NX2. When I looked at the thumbnails this morning in PM they reflect the editing that I did, but when I view them in Preview, they do not. I don't recall ever having this issue with PM in the past. I thought that NX2 updated the embedded thumbnail and then PM would use that for Preview. Very frustrating.

Any ideas? I am on a Mac and using PM 4.6 btw if that makes any difference.

Offline rjp

• View Profile
Re: More Preview weirdness...this time involves NX2
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 11:14:44 AM »
I was working on some NEF files last night in NX2. When I looked at the thumbnails this morning in PM they reflect the editing that I did, but when I view them in Preview, they do not. I don't recall ever having this issue with PM in the past. I thought that NX2 updated the embedded thumbnail and then PM would use that for Preview. Very frustrating.

Any ideas? I am on a Mac and using PM 4.6 btw if that makes any difference.

Did you make sure to uncheck the box that tells your mac to use apple's OS to render RAW? It's under the Preferences->RAW tab.

Offline Les Doerfler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 11:35:26 AM »
rjp - the box for Apple rendering is currently unchecked. I even turned it on to see if it would make a difference. Nada.

Offline rjp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 11:51:04 AM »
rjp - the box for Apple rendering is currently unchecked. I even turned it on to see if it would make a difference. Nada.

Strange. fwiw, I also process NEFS and use a mac and it does work, so I'm sure you should be able to see the updated embedded JPEG in preview mode once you get whatever problem you have fixed by the camerabits guys.

Might as well get the latest 4.6.1. beta and see if this makes a difference.
http://camerabits.fileburst.com/PhotoMechanic4.6.1b0403.dmg.gz

Offline Les Doerfler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 12:14:25 PM »
I installed 4.6.1 but that did not make a difference. I did notice that when I first open up Preview I can see the edited image for a second before it's replaced by the non edited one.

Anyone from Camera Bits have any ideas? Maybe I need to clear a cache or something.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 02:03:31 PM »
I installed 4.6.1 but that did not make a difference. I did notice that when I first open up Preview I can see the edited image for a second before it's replaced by the non edited one.

Anyone from Camera Bits have any ideas? Maybe I need to clear a cache or something.

Could you send us a sample file?  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

-Kirk

Offline Les Doerfler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 03:20:23 PM »
Kirk - message sent.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 11:12:44 PM »

The issue was that Les didn't have color management turned on for Previews, so the pixels were completely un-color managed.

-Kirk