Author Topic: lightroom PC  (Read 19533 times)

Offline royfel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
lightroom PC
« on: July 19, 2006, 05:56:31 AM »
After converting a few raws to jpegs in Lightroom pc they (the jpgs) are now invisable to Photo Mechanic. Even Navigator view>explore they do not show up, they do show in windows explorer. Damn, really like both programs.
Roy Feldman

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: lightroom PC
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 06:41:39 AM »
Roy,

After converting a few raws to jpegs in Lightroom pc they (the jpgs) are now invisable to Photo Mechanic. Even Navigator view>explore they do not show up, they do show in windows explorer. Damn, really like both programs.

Is there a question in here somewhere?

When you choose Explore from the contextual menu in the Navigator it opens up the folder in a Windows Explorer window.  If you want to view that folder in Photo Mechanic, then just double-click it.

Maybe you knew all of that already, but I'm not sure what you're asking otherwise...

-Kirk

Offline royfel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 07:14:38 AM »
The question is how can I view jpegs made from RAW files (converted thru) Lightroom PC. They are not showing up at all .

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 07:27:47 AM »
Roy,

The question is how can I view jpegs made from RAW files (converted thru) Lightroom PC. They are not showing up at all .

Are you browsing the folder that contains the JPEGs in Photo Mechanic?  Do the JPEGs have the .jpg extension or do they have a different extension?  Are you seeing blank thumbnails with red filenames or no thumbnails at all?

-Kirk

Offline royfel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 07:42:26 AM »
they have .jpg extention, the show up in windows explorer with no red lines or x's, the do not show at all in PM>navagator. will be happy to send one.
Lightroom PC just came out today so I think this is a adobe problem.
But they seem to have screwed with the file associations.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 07:44:47 AM »
they have .jpg extention, the show up in windows explorer with no red lines or x's, the do not show at all in PM>navagator. will be happy to send one.
Lightroom PC just came out today so I think this is a adobe problem.
But they seem to have screwed with the file associations.

The Navigator does not show files.  Are you double-clicking on the folder containing the JPEGs so that a Contact Sheet tab is opened?

-Kirk

Offline royfel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 07:59:11 AM »
yes, and I can view the raws, but no jpegs.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 08:05:15 AM »
yes, and I can view the raws, but no jpegs.

I just downloaded the Lightroom Beta 3 for Windows.  I processed six CR2 files from my 20D to JPEGs (it took me quite a while to realize that to do the conversion I had to use "Export" from the File menu but that's another topic altogether.)

Then I dragged and dropped the exported folder onto Photo Mechanic.  I instantly saw six JPEGs in all their glory.

What are you doing to view the folder containing the JPEGs in Photo Mechanic?  If you're saving the JPEGs in the same folder as the RAW files, then you are likely seeing the JPEGs and RAWs combined together in RAW+JPEG mode.  Type Ctrl+J to toggle RAW+JPEG mode off and you should see separate JPEG and RAW files as thumbnails.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline royfel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 08:08:51 AM »
I realize that's the way it's suppose to work. It's just not working for me. I'll keep trying and get back to you.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 08:13:04 AM »
I realize that's the way it's suppose to work. It's just not working for me. I'll keep trying and get back to you.

How about separating your JPEGs into a different folder and then drag and drop that folder onto Photo Mechanic.  Do the images show up now?

-Kirk

Offline royfel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 09:09:42 AM »
That works, as does: (in windows explorer) right click folder>open with>photo mechanic. When I do this the jpegs show up as they always have.
But just double clicking the navagator only gets me NEFs.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 09:18:17 AM »
That works, as does: (in windows explorer) right click folder>open with>photo mechanic. When I do this the jpegs show up as they always have.
But just double clicking the navagator only gets me NEFs.

Do your NEF's filename titles show as:

FILENAME.NEF+JPG

If so then you're seeing the RAW and the JPEG combined together as a single item.  They can be split apart by pressing Ctrl+J.

-Kirk

Offline royfel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 09:33:50 AM »
Nope not the case. I can only view the jpegs if I right click the folder and open in PM, this will not work inside the navagator.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 10:39:22 AM »
Nope not the case. I can only view the jpegs if I right click the folder and open in PM, this will not work inside the navagator.

What is the full path to the folder on your system?

If you use the Navigator, and open the folder, you can see the NEFs?  How about right-clicking on one of the NEFs and then choose "Show in Windows Explorer...", does the Windows Explorer window that is opened have the JPEGs in that window?

-Kirk

Offline royfel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 11:54:34 AM »
yes, In fact if I drag the folder C:\Users\Roy\Pictures\14Jul 06 into PM it shows both Nef and .jpgs, if I double click the same folder in navagator it will not show the jpegs
Tried both checking and unchecking jpeg+raw.
I give up, I'll just drag my folder in to PM, seems to work fine that way.
If it's any consolation the same behavior is happening in Bibble but, strangely enough, not Nikon NX.