Author Topic: Any way to automate importing keywords from XMP sidecars into RAW files?  (Read 3215 times)

Offline Rick Baumhauer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I'm testing PM 4.6.1 right now (I'm licensed through 4.5.x), and I'm looking for a method to get my keywords (applied in Lightroom 2) into Aperture, just to have the flexibility of working in either editor without worrying about losing my keywords.  I've tested loading the XMP data into the Info panel in PM and saving it to embed the keywords in the RAW file, and that seems to work fine.  I've also exported my keyword list from Lightroom, and successfully imported it into PM and Aperture, so I can keyword in PM going forward.

Is there any way to automate the process of loading the XMP data and embedding it into the RAW file?  I've only hit on a manual method so far, and that could get tedious with about 25,000 images (a mix of Canon 300D, 350D, 20D, 40D, and 5D Mark II files)  :)  I know I can probably get what I want by converting everything to DNG, but I'm just not prepared to tie myself to Adobe's methodology that tightly just yet.

This is on a Mac Pro Quad 2GHz with 9GB of RAM, running OS X 10.5.6 .

Thanks for any pointers, and for the great support you've provided in the past.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Rick,

I'm testing PM 4.6.1 right now (I'm licensed through 4.5.x), and I'm looking for a method to get my keywords (applied in Lightroom 2) into Aperture, just to have the flexibility of working in either editor without worrying about losing my keywords.  I've tested loading the XMP data into the Info panel in PM and saving it to embed the keywords in the RAW file, and that seems to work fine.  I've also exported my keyword list from Lightroom, and successfully imported it into PM and Aperture, so I can keyword in PM going forward.

Is there any way to automate the process of loading the XMP data and embedding it into the RAW file?  I've only hit on a manual method so far, and that could get tedious with about 25,000 images (a mix of Canon 300D, 350D, 20D, 40D, and 5D Mark II files)  :)  I know I can probably get what I want by converting everything to DNG, but I'm just not prepared to tie myself to Adobe's methodology that tightly just yet.

This is on a Mac Pro Quad 2GHz with 9GB of RAM, running OS X 10.5.6 .

Thanks for any pointers, and for the great support you've provided in the past.

Does Aperture read/import XMP when embedded into RAW files?  I think Aperture at least supports embedded IPTC.  So if you set PM to embed IPTC into your TIFF-based RAW files and then used the IPTC Stationery Pad to update some unused field (you could just clear out an already cleared out field) then it would be as simple as selecting a large number of photos and then apply the IPTC Stationery Pad to them.  They will now have both a XMP sidecar file and embedded IPTC.  Continue this process until all photos have been updated.  Then Aperture should see all of your keywords, captions, etc.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Rick Baumhauer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Kirk - thanks for the ideas.  It seems like it *should* work, but isn't in practice.

I've tested with a couple individual images by clicking the Info button for the photo in the browser to bring up the IPTC Info panel for that photo, then clicking "Load...", and selecting the photo's XMP file - this has worked properly in a couple of cases, but not all (though all attempts end up with a "doubled" caption, for some reason).

However, using your suggestion (I just checked the Urgency field in the IPTC Stationery Pad, and set it to "Normal" - not something I've ever used in the past) doesn't succeed in embedding the keywords from the XMP sidecar file into the RAW file.  I've tried setting "When writing IPTC/XMP" for TIFF-based RAW photos to "Add embedded IPTC", with no success.  Also checking "Add embedded IPTC4XMP" made no difference.  Also, after trying this process, photos that I tried embedding IPTC individually with success previously (through the IPTC Info Panel) no longer work for some reason.

Not sure if this is related, but should PM show the keywords from the XMP sidecar file in the IPTC Info Panel?  I have set "When reading IPTC/XMP" for TIFF-based RAW photos to 1st - Read XMP sidecar file, 2nd - Read embedded IPTC, and 3rd - Read embedded XMP, but the keywords never show up for photos in which they aren't embedded.

Are there any other settings I should be checking in this process?

Thanks again for the help!

Rick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Rick,

Kirk - thanks for the ideas.  It seems like it *should* work, but isn't in practice.

I've tested with a couple individual images by clicking the Info button for the photo in the browser to bring up the IPTC Info panel for that photo, then clicking "Load...", and selecting the photo's XMP file - this has worked properly in a couple of cases, but not all (though all attempts end up with a "doubled" caption, for some reason).

However, using your suggestion (I just checked the Urgency field in the IPTC Stationery Pad, and set it to "Normal" - not something I've ever used in the past) doesn't succeed in embedding the keywords from the XMP sidecar file into the RAW file.  I've tried setting "When writing IPTC/XMP" for TIFF-based RAW photos to "Add embedded IPTC", with no success.  Also checking "Add embedded IPTC4XMP" made no difference.  Also, after trying this process, photos that I tried embedding IPTC individually with success previously (through the IPTC Info Panel) no longer work for some reason.

Not sure if this is related, but should PM show the keywords from the XMP sidecar file in the IPTC Info Panel?  I have set "When reading IPTC/XMP" for TIFF-based RAW photos to 1st - Read XMP sidecar file, 2nd - Read embedded IPTC, and 3rd - Read embedded XMP, but the keywords never show up for photos in which they aren't embedded.

Are there any other settings I should be checking in this process?

No, it sounds like you've got it right.  I'd like to see some sample files from you, both the photo and the XMP sidecar file.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

-Kirk