Author Topic: PM 4.6.1 beta4 NTFS Secondary target problem  (Read 3579 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
PM 4.6.1 beta4 NTFS Secondary target problem
« on: April 13, 2009, 03:20:57 AM »
I try to ingest with PM 4.6.1 beta 4 to a FAT32 as primary and to an NTFS partition as secondary location under OSX 10.5.5. The primary ingest location works fine but the secondary fails to write anything after creating the folder to ingest into.
I know OSX doesn't support writing of NTFS partitions but I installed MacFuse and NTFS-3G plugin that allows it. After PM finishes ingest to the primary target location I can simply copy the images into the NTFS folder but PM doesn't do it upon ingest.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM 4.6.1 beta4 NTFS Secondary target problem
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 06:33:39 AM »
I try to ingest with PM 4.6.1 beta 4 to a FAT32 as primary and to an NTFS partition as secondary location under OSX 10.5.5. The primary ingest location works fine but the secondary fails to write anything after creating the folder to ingest into.
I know OSX doesn't support writing of NTFS partitions but I installed MacFuse and NTFS-3G plugin that allows it. After PM finishes ingest to the primary target location I can simply copy the images into the NTFS folder but PM doesn't do it upon ingest.

It sounds like whatever you've added to the system doesn't quite add enough functionality for the Apple-provided API calls we use in Mac OS X to work properly.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 07:42:24 AM »

It sounds like whatever you've added to the system doesn't quite add enough functionality for the Apple-provided API calls we use in Mac OS X to work properly.

-Kirk

Yes it seems not to work well enough. I try to solve the problem of cross platform USB drives but have no idea which way to go.
OSX doesn't write NTFS and Windows doesn't recognise HFS+ file systems. FAT32 should be the compromise but above 128GB it seems Windows doesn't support it either. How should I format USB drives if I want to use them on both Win and OSX machines?
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 07:59:19 AM »

-Kirk

Yes it seems not to work well enough. I try to solve the problem of cross platform USB drives but have no idea which way to go.
OSX doesn't write NTFS and Windows doesn't recognise HFS+ file systems. FAT32 should be the compromise but above 128GB it seems Windows doesn't support it either. How should I format USB drives if I want to use them on both Win and OSX machines?

I don't know.  I do know that some people use a product called "MacDrive" on Windows with success.

-Kirk