Author Topic: PM 4.6.1 beta (and 4.6) running as Power PC on Intel CPU Mac  (Read 5695 times)

Offline gasakawa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM 4.6.1 beta (and 4.6) running as Power PC on Intel CPU Mac
« on: April 14, 2009, 07:07:50 PM »
Hi--A recent crash log sent to Kirk revealed that PM 4.6 was running as a Power PC app on my Intel Macbook Pro (2.4 Ghz 3 gb RAM).  I didn't know until the crash about this issue but noticed slow performance and CPU strain during browsing after upgrade to 4.6.  4.6.1 beta has same issue--checked via activity monitor on Mac.  Anyone else have this issue?  You can use your activity monitor to check if PM is running Intel or PPC.   Thanks!  GA

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM 4.6.1 beta (and 4.6) running as Power PC on Intel CPU Mac
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 09:26:50 PM »
Glenn,

Hi--A recent crash log sent to Kirk revealed that PM 4.6 was running as a Power PC app on my Intel Macbook Pro (2.4 Ghz 3 gb RAM).  I didn't know until the crash about this issue but noticed slow performance and CPU strain during browsing after upgrade to 4.6.  4.6.1 beta has same issue--checked via activity monitor on Mac.  Anyone else have this issue?  You can use your activity monitor to check if PM is running Intel or PPC.   Thanks! 

Please check out this document, maybe it will help:

http://developer.apple.com/DOCUMENTATION/MacOSX/Conceptual/universal_binary/universal_binary_exec_a/universal_binary_exec_a.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40002217-CH210-BAJDHEDD

-Kirk

Offline sandy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 07:56:13 AM »
I checked my activity monitor and it running pm on intel

Offline gasakawa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 09:10:09 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Kirk--The post you provided gives good info on forcing an app to launch in PPC on an Intel CPU (which is what PM seems to be doing for me) but do you think the next post on the link about preventing an app from opening Rosetta would work to force PM to run natively? 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 09:36:33 AM »
Glenn,

Thanks for the info.  Kirk--The post you provided gives good info on forcing an app to launch in PPC on an Intel CPU (which is what PM seems to be doing for me) but do you think the next post on the link about preventing an app from opening Rosetta would work to force PM to run natively? 

The LSRequiresNativeExecution key is already set to true in Photo Mechanic 4.6.

Something on your system is forcing PM 4.6.x to run in Rosetta even though the application specifies that it requires native execution.

I don't know what it could be at this point.

-Kirk

Offline gasakawa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 10:56:59 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I was hoping updating to 4.6.1 would resolve the running in Rosetta issue that I've had with PM.  It really seems to be bogging down and works very slowly with files of more than 100 large jpgs.   Has anyone else come across this strange issue?

Thanks!

Glenn

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 11:10:17 AM »
Glenn,

I was hoping updating to 4.6.1 would resolve the running in Rosetta issue that I've had with PM.  It really seems to be bogging down and works very slowly with files of more than 100 large jpgs.   Has anyone else come across this strange issue?

No, but I think if you were to strip out the PowerPC binary from the application, your system would have no choice but to run it natively.  See this hint on how to strip the PowerPC code from an application:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060609195046756

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline gasakawa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 02:15:31 PM »
Hi Kirk--It's been awhile since I checked back to this string but did so since I was frustrated waiting for PM to sort through a folder of over 1,000 images and saw your latest post to use that downsizer script.  It worked like a charm and now it's running natively in Intel and is MUCH more responsive.  Thanks for finding that fix and good luck in the future. 

Glenn

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 03:44:13 PM »
Glenn,

Hi Kirk--It's been awhile since I checked back to this string but did so since I was frustrated waiting for PM to sort through a folder of over 1,000 images and saw your latest post to use that downsizer script.  It worked like a charm and now it's running natively in Intel and is MUCH more responsive.  Thanks for finding that fix and good luck in the future. 

Great!  I'm glad it's solved.

-Kirk