Author Topic: Photo in the portrait format with Nikon D200  (Read 15043 times)

Offline didi69

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo in the portrait format with Nikon D200
« on: May 01, 2006, 07:45:25 AM »
Hallo,

I took up a photo in the portrait format with Nikon D200. In Photo Mechanic it one displays correctly, but in the Finder of Mac OSX it is displayed in the landscape format. Also in the Nikon View it falsely one displays.
I must turn all photo with Nikon View to turn! With the Nikon D2Hs it goes perfectly.

Sorry for my english, i'm translate with dashboard translator of Mac OSX.

By Dieter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo in the portrait format with Nikon D200
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 07:58:30 AM »
I took up a photo in the portrait format with Nikon D200. In Photo Mechanic it one displays correctly, but in the Finder of Mac OSX it is displayed in the landscape format. Also in the Nikon View it falsely one displays.
I must turn all photo with Nikon View to turn! With the Nikon D2Hs it goes perfectly.

Sorry for my english, i'm translate with dashboard translator of Mac OSX.

What Nikon View is doing is a 'hard rotate' of the pixels.  Photo Mechanic 4.4 and higher can do this from the Tools menu command "Apply Rotation to JPEGs..."  Just select your photos and use that tool.

Otherwise, Photo Mechanic "soft rotates" the photo by adjusting the Exif Orientation tag.  Many newer applications pick up this information and display the photo in its 'as-shot' orientation.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline didi69

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 08:36:21 AM »
Thanks

I do not have to select all photos there I white which in the portrait format am around "Appli Rotation to Jpges" too to be executed.
If I execute the photos in Mac OSX am correctly displayed but in Nikon View not.

I must give the photos to the Windows users. There it is better if I it turns otherwise becomes these in the landscape format indicated.

By Dieter
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 08:50:36 AM by didi69 »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 09:27:11 AM »
I do not have to select all photos there I white which in the portrait format am around "Appli Rotation to Jpges" too to be executed.
If I execute the photos in Mac OSX am correctly displayed but in Nikon View not.

I must give the photos to the Windows users. There it is better if I it turns otherwise becomes these in the landscape format indicated.

I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand what you're trying to say.  Can anyone else help explain to Dieter?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline william1949

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 09:49:25 AM »
I use a Nikon D50 and found that this image rotation stuff confusing at first.  In the menu of the camera you can turn on or off image rotation.  With image rotation on - some programs will see the pictures rotated, but if you look at them with other programs they will not be rotated.  Really, the image is not rotated, but appears to be.  For the sake of my sanity, I turned off the image rotation in the cameras menu.  I just use my favorite program to rotate it for real (Photo Mechanics - Tools - apply rotation to jpegs).
Hope this helps.

Bill
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 09:57:25 AM by william1949 »

Offline didi69

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 01:27:41 PM »
I use a Nikon D200 and D2Hs and use the image rotation.
I turn now simply all pictures with photo Mechanic apply rotation to JPEG if I these for Windows of systems need.

Dieter