Author Topic: PM locks when moving a file  (Read 9349 times)

Offline RichB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM locks when moving a file
« on: April 28, 2006, 04:29:00 PM »
I have a PM trial version 4.4.2.  I didn't see a way to move a file from one folder to another.  I am new to workflow and will probably change it eventually.  I have a folder that contains photos I am editing and another folder for those ready to print.  I was wanting to use PM to move them, so I dragged files to the folder in the Navigation panel.  Occassionally, PM seemed to lock up.  I have a 3ghz, Win XP, 1 GB memory system and had PM, Nikon Capture, and Photoshop CS2 open at the same time.  I have now ordered another 1 GB memory.  Ugh!

Should I be able to move files with PM?  Is there a better way to do this?
Thanks,
Rich

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM locks when moving a file
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 05:45:00 PM »
I have a PM trial version 4.4.2.  I didn't see a way to move a file from one folder to another.  I am new to workflow and will probably change it eventually.  I have a folder that contains photos I am editing and another folder for those ready to print.  I was wanting to use PM to move them, so I dragged files to the folder in the Navigation panel.  Occassionally, PM seemed to lock up.  I have a 3ghz, Win XP, 1 GB memory system and had PM, Nikon Capture, and Photoshop CS2 open at the same time.  I have now ordered another 1 GB memory.  Ugh!

Should I be able to move files with PM?  Is there a better way to do this?

You should be able to drag and drop files from the Contact Sheet to a folder in the Navigator.  Another method which eliminates the Navigator is to open both the source and destination folders as contact sheets.  Then drag photos from the current contact sheet onto the tab of the destination contact sheet.  It will come to the front and then you can drop the files into the destination contact sheet.

You can also avoid drag and drop altogether by using the Copy photos... command on the File menu.  It has a move option.  It can apply IPTC Stationery and even rename the files during the copy.

HTH,

-Kirk