Author Topic: 4.6.1 Hangs on iMac  (Read 6296 times)

Offline bmeeks

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
4.6.1 Hangs on iMac
« on: April 19, 2009, 07:51:39 AM »
I have a new iMac; 3.96 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, running OS 10.5.6, 4 GB RAM.

I am a license holder for PM 4.6; everything was working fine until I switched to the iMac (I was running a 2.5GHz dual processor machine previously).  Now all I get is the "spinning beach ball" and when I try to "force quit" is takes a hell of a long time, to the point where I had to reboot.

Suggestions?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 4.6.1 Hangs on iMac
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 10:11:03 AM »

I am a license holder for PM 4.6; everything was working fine until I switched to the iMac (I was running a 2.5GHz dual processor machine previously).  Now all I get is the "spinning beach ball" and when I try to "force quit" is takes a hell of a long time, to the point where I had to reboot.

Where is it hanging?  On startup?  When you view photos?

Please elaborate.

-Kirk

Offline evycolorado

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 07:42:46 PM »
I have a MacBook Pro, 2.33 GHz Intel Core Duo, 3GB RAM, 28GB avail on system hard drive, two external drives.  Photomechanic hangs if I have Capture NX active.  PM also hangs at various times while using it and especially if I leave it for a while and come back.  It has hung while trying to execute a copy of a card to hard drive; the first copy went just fine and I was repeating it to a second drive.  It has hung  at other random times.  I cannot "force quit" either; I must actually have to hit the power off button and then restart my computer with it.  Since I stopped using a PC, I don't normally experience this type of problem and I have had Macs for several years.

I also tried to find PM in the Activity Monitor in hopes of forcing it to quit that way so I wouldn't have to power down my computer, but couldn't figure out which kernel or process it was.  There wasn't one name PM or CameraBits, for example.

Thanks...hope there is a better way.

Offline evycolorado

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 07:44:46 PM »
Forgot to add I am running OS/X  10.5.7 and using PM 4.6.1   - thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
Forgot to add I am running OS/X  10.5.7 and using PM 4.6.1   - thanks.

Try turning off the 'Create Finder icons during copy, ingest, or save as' checkbox in the Files tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog.

-Kirk

Offline rjp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 02:43:19 PM »

Suggestions?

That's funny. I wish they made an imac that fast ;-)
Not quite yet... I assume you mean either 2.93 or 3.06 GHz. 

Anyway, I am running PM 4.6.1 on an imac 2.8 GHz (prev generation) along with NX2 under the latest OSX and have never yet had a crash fwiw. It is a fantastic combination of SW on a really great machine. I am sure the camerabits guys will resolve your hangup problem, and I am very curious to better understand what it is in case I also run into it one day.

I also run this combination on my macbook pro 2.4 GHz and have never had a crash. Someone else mentioned they had problems.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 12:29:55 PM »
Anyway, I am running PM 4.6.1 on an imac 2.8 GHz (prev generation) along with NX2 under the latest OSX and have never yet had a crash fwiw. It is a fantastic combination of SW on a really great machine. I am sure the camerabits guys will resolve your hangup problem, and I am very curious to better understand what it is in case I also run into it one day.

I also run this combination on my macbook pro 2.4 GHz and have never had a crash. Someone else mentioned they had problems.
Are you running Leopard or Tiger?

I used to have PM Crash on me with the "Create Finder Icons" turned on during an ingest. Funny thing was though that not many cards ingested fine and only some cards would cause the crash. These would crash PM consistently though. As Kirk explained to me, the code in Leopard seems to be broken and is the cause of the crash. The solution was simple: turn off "Create Finder Icons". Now all is well :-)

It looks like bmeeks is suffering from the same problem.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline rjp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 12:45:38 PM »

I used to have PM Crash on me with the "Create Finder Icons" turned on during an ingest. Funny thing was though that not many cards ingested fine and only some cards would cause the crash. These would crash PM consistently though. As Kirk explained to me, the code in Leopard seems to be broken and is the cause of the crash. The solution was simple: turn off "Create Finder Icons". Now all is well :-)

I'm running Leopard. I don't think I have the "Create Finder Icons" option turned on last time I checked. I have no idea what it does so I left it off.

What does it do anyway?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 03:39:45 PM »

I'm running Leopard. I don't think I have the "Create Finder Icons" option turned on last time I checked. I have no idea what it does so I left it off.

What does it do anyway?

It creates custom icons that the Finder can use in its icon views.  This issue is so serious that the option will be removed altogether in version 4.6.2.

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
    • DESGphoto / elementalSPORTS
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 10:55:48 PM »
I have a MacBook Pro, 2.33 GHz Intel Core Duo, 3GB RAM, 28GB avail on system hard drive, two external drives.  Photomechanic hangs if I have Capture NX active.  PM also hangs at various times while using it and especially if I leave it for a while and come back.  It has hung while trying to execute a copy of a card to hard drive; the first copy went just fine and I was repeating it to a second drive.  It has hung  at other random times.  I cannot "force quit" either; I must actually have to hit the power off button and then restart my computer with it.  Since I stopped using a PC, I don't normally experience this type of problem and I have had Macs for several years.

I also tried to find PM in the Activity Monitor in hopes of forcing it to quit that way so I wouldn't have to power down my computer, but couldn't figure out which kernel or process it was.  There wasn't one name PM or CameraBits, for example.

Thanks...hope there is a better way.

I had (have?) the same problem on my Macbook Pro, but I guess I found a reason and a sollution. I had the following folder-config:

/Volumes/Data/Photos/new photos
   /Volumes/Data/Photos/To Send

The folders "new photos" and "to send" are also part of my finder sidebar and the system hangs at various points (especially when I tried to "enter" the PM menubar or when I changed back to PM from Lightroom).
Now I moved the "To send" folder one level higher and the problem seams to be gone. Now it looks like:

/Volumes/Data/Photos/new photos
   /Volumes/Data/To Send

BTW: whenever PM has shown this beachball and was hanging, it helped to end any open process. E.g. to quit safari or an open text editor or any other open unneeded task has stopped the beachball and brought PM back to life. Strange!

Lars

P.S.: this finder icon creation option is off