Author Topic: Launching Ingest via Windows XP  (Read 2911 times)

Offline nmf

• View Profile
Launching Ingest via Windows XP
« on: April 19, 2009, 03:39:42 PM »
Currently trying to set up Photomechanic on a Dell Mini XP netbook but find that whilst connecting the card reader opens the Ingest dialog for some cards, others frustratingly open in a Windows dialog. Initially I was using v4.6 but am still having the same problem with the latest beta.

I've tried setting up the cards for opening in Properties => Autoplay as suggested in a previous thread but guess I am not doing this right as I don't appear to be having any success.

The card names all appear to be the same. All are Sandisk cards and the successfully ingested ones are a mix of Extreme III 4Gb and Extreme IV 8Gb.

(In case it has any bearing I did also had a problem with the "Safely Remove Hardware" command in XP for the cards and reader but that seems to have been resolved with the latest beta. Initially I thought that was related to the AV software but then found that by closing PM after each ingest I could remove cards without any problems)

Can anybody help me resolve this please ? Coming from Mac OSX this is driving me up the wall.

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Launching Ingest via Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 04:18:31 PM »
Currently trying to set up Photomechanic on a Dell Mini XP netbook but find that whilst connecting the card reader opens the Ingest dialog for some cards, others frustratingly open in a Windows dialog. Initially I was using v4.6 but am still having the same problem with the latest beta.

I've tried setting up the cards for opening in Properties => Autoplay as suggested in a previous thread but guess I am not doing this right as I don't appear to be having any success.

The card names all appear to be the same. All are Sandisk cards and the successfully ingested ones are a mix of Extreme III 4Gb and Extreme IV 8Gb.

(In case it has any bearing I did also had a problem with the "Safely Remove Hardware" command in XP for the cards and reader but that seems to have been resolved with the latest beta. Initially I thought that was related to the AV software but then found that by closing PM after each ingest I could remove cards without any problems)

Can anybody help me resolve this please ? Coming from Mac OSX this is driving me up the wall.

AutoPlay is based off of the device and the type of media in the device.  You should only have to setup AutoPlay for each type of device and medial that you use.  Do you have more than one card reader?

BTW, AutoPlay is one of the most poorly implemented features in Windows and it is often the case that some systems can never work correctly with AutoPlay, and this has nothing to do with whether Photo Mechanic is installed or not.  Microsoft have even created an AutoPlay Wizard to try and correct problems on systems.

-Kirk

Offline nmf

• View Profile
Re: Launching Ingest via Windows XP
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 02:18:55 AM »
Thanks Kirk. I do have another card reader somewhere but it is older so doesn't read all my SD cards. I'll try it for these cards though.

For anybody who has a similar problem and finds this thread in the archive, checking through the 'unco-operative' folders it appears they contain only CR2 RAW files whereas the others contain a mix of JPEG and CR2 (I just used a bunch of cards from a wallet in my bag for the test) so am guessing that may be the cause for some reason.