Author Topic: Where does PM put GPS data  (Read 4466 times)

Offline paulgh26

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Where does PM put GPS data
« on: April 20, 2009, 04:22:07 PM »
I used to use a little mac program called houdahgeo to add gps data to my canon cr2 files. When the files are processed in Capture One v4, the coordinates are correctly transferred to the converted tiff/jpg files.

Having upgraded to PhotoMechanic 4.6, I decided I could add gps in PM instead. However, I have now noticed that the gps coordinates added by PM are not being seen by Capture One. Photoshop (ACR) does however recognise the gps data and transfers it correctly during raw conversion.

In houdahgeo, I notice the command is "write exif/xmp/iptc tags". So it seems to add the gps data in several places, one of which capture one can see. So my question is - where does PM add the gps data (exif only??). And is writing of GPS data affected by any of my settings in the IPTC/XMP preferences.

I suspect Capture One is not doing something correctly. But I would like to know what PM is doing, before talking to Phase One.

Regards
Paul

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Where does PM put GPS data
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 04:49:50 PM »
Paul,

I used to use a little mac program called houdahgeo to add gps data to my canon cr2 files. When the files are processed in Capture One v4, the coordinates are correctly transferred to the converted tiff/jpg files.

Having upgraded to PhotoMechanic 4.6, I decided I could add gps in PM instead. However, I have now noticed that the gps coordinates added by PM are not being seen by Capture One. Photoshop (ACR) does however recognise the gps data and transfers it correctly during raw conversion.

In houdahgeo, I notice the command is "write exif/xmp/iptc tags". So it seems to add the gps data in several places, one of which capture one can see. So my question is - where does PM add the gps data (exif only??). And is writing of GPS data affected by any of my settings in the IPTC/XMP preferences.

I suspect Capture One is not doing something correctly. But I would like to know what PM is doing, before talking to Phase One.

Currently Photo Mechanic only writes new GPS coordinates to XMP data.  If GPS tags exist already in the EXIF data of the file then they are updated.

An effort is being made to write GPS coordinates to EXIF data when it does not exist yet.  The plan is to get it in before the final 4.6.1 release.

-Kirk

Offline paulgh26

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 05:46:07 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply Kirk.

I understand now... PM writes GPS data to XMP. Adobe Camera Raw can read this, but Capture One does not. I will stick to my old workflow with houdahgeo until PM 4.6.1 is released.

Regards
Paul

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 04:24:49 PM »
Paul,

I understand now... PM writes GPS data to XMP. Adobe Camera Raw can read this, but Capture One does not. I will stick to my old workflow with houdahgeo until PM 4.6.1 is released.

Beta 7 of Photo Mechanic 4.6.1 now creates GPS EXIF data in RAW files.  Please give it a try.  You can get it from the Announcements section of the forums.

-Kirk

Offline RonD200

• View Profile
    • Digital Images by Ron Skinner
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 04:58:18 PM »
Paul,

Beta 7 of Photo Mechanic 4.6.1 now creates GPS EXIF data in RAW files.  Please give it a try.  You can get it from the Announcements section of the forums.

-Kirk

Tried it, CaptureNX2 can now "see" the GPS information!!!  :D
My Gallery - Digital Images by Ron Skinner
My Blog - Ron's Blog

Offline paulgh26

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 03:51:27 AM »
Paul,

-Kirk

Thanks Kirk. I tried it on my canon 50D and 30D raw files. It works... Capture One can see the GPS data now, and correctly transfers it to the converted tiffs/jpgs.

Paul