Author Topic: Arangement sort disrution  (Read 11289 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Arangement sort disrution
« on: April 21, 2009, 12:10:25 AM »
In PM 4.6.1 beta 5 (also like the previous betas) if I switch to arangement sort and arange photos the order changes when I swich to another application and switch back. This makes the use of arangement useless if I have to repeat the arangement many times. (Under OSX 10.5.6)
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Arangement sort disrution
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 01:29:16 PM »
In PM 4.6.1 beta 5 (also like the previous betas) if I switch to arangement sort and arange photos the order changes when I swich to another application and switch back. This makes the use of arangement useless if I have to repeat the arangement many times. (Under OSX 10.5.6)

Please tell me how to reproduce this.  I switched from Filename sort to Arrangement sort, rearranged a few photos, switched out of Photo Mechanic, waited a minute or so, switched back in, and nothing moved at all.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 07:25:25 PM »
I usually use this sort before I upload some series of photos to a web gallery. My default sort is by {head} then I switch to Arangement I reorder the images, then I change the filenames since the gallery uses the filenames as captions. (My filenames usually contain ancients but never at the first letter - this may be important.) After renaming I start uploading from either Safari or Fire Fox and when I switch back from the browser to PM - for example to move the page to see the rest of images in order - the arangement changes by itself.
I hope this helps to reproduce.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 11:17:03 PM »
I usually use this sort before I upload some series of photos to a web gallery. My default sort is by {head} then I switch to Arangement I reorder the images, then I change the filenames since the gallery uses the filenames as captions. (My filenames usually contain ancients but never at the first letter - this may be important.) After renaming I start uploading from either Safari or Fire Fox and when I switch back from the browser to PM - for example to move the page to see the rest of images in order - the arangement changes by itself.
I hope this helps to reproduce.

The renaming is probably the issue.  Try using the "Make Arrangement" on the View menu after you rename your photos.  The Arrangement data file just lists the filenames in arrangement order so if you rename then there could be a disconnect.  I should add code to update the Arrangement data file after a rename occurs...

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 07:26:41 AM »
I see now
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 09:42:39 AM »
I see now

Does using "Make Arrangement" solve the problem for you?

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 01:29:16 AM »
I had no chance to test it yet but will respond and probably it will solve the problem.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 03:13:51 AM »
I tested the issue, and Make arangement did not solve it. The problem still exists.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 06:34:58 AM »
I tested the issue, and Make arangement did not solve it. The problem still exists.

OK, then I'm going to need explicit steps (renaming examples), everything needed to reproduce the problem on my end.  Perhaps screen shots of the contact sheet before arranging, after arranging, and after switching back to PM.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 11:13:32 AM »
Ok, I will try to document it and send screenshots.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 11:55:36 PM »

OK, then I'm going to need explicit steps (renaming examples), everything needed to reproduce the problem on my end.  Perhaps screen shots of the contact sheet before arranging, after arranging, and after switching back to PM.

-Kirk

Strange! My first test intended to fully document has failed. It may be bacause I only used english names no ancient characters.

Then I started off with another set of images. I first renamed them to {seqn} 1-16.

Then aranged them in my desired order, then I wrote this part of this text and I switched back to PM.

I renamed the images adding some description into the filenames (in my native language - this part might be the problem with ancient characters?).

I switched back to the web browser to continue this text, and switch back to PM to see it disrupst the sort again.

Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 06:55:41 AM »

-Kirk

Strange! My first test intended to fully document has failed. It may be bacause I only used english names no ancient characters.

Then I started off with another set of images. I first renamed them to {seqn} 1-16.

Then aranged them in my desired order, then I wrote this part of this text and I switched back to PM.

I renamed the images adding some description into the filenames (in my native language - this part might be the problem with ancient characters?).

I switched back to the web browser to continue this text, and switch back to PM to see it disrupst the sort again.

Could you do me a favor and select all of the files in your contact sheet and then save the selection (Edit->Save Selection...) and then send me the text file?  Also, if you could send me the .pmarrangement.dat file (it's hidden from the Finder but can be seen with the Terminal or other utilities) and send me that as well?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 10:01:58 PM »
Could you do me a favor and select all of the files in your contact sheet and then save the selection (Edit->Save Selection...) and then send me the text file?  Also, if you could send me the .pmarrangement.dat file (it's hidden from the Finder but can be seen with the Terminal or other utilities) and send me that as well?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Of course I can, in which (or all) status would you like them? Original before manual arangement, correctly arranged but before rename, or after rename or after the thisruption of my manual arrangement?
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 06:34:06 AM »

Of course I can, in which (or all) status would you like them? Original before manual arangement, correctly arranged but before rename, or after rename or after the thisruption of my manual arrangement?

Save the selection after the disruption.  And send me the .pmarrangement.dat file too.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Also, your screenshot didn't show the toolbar, so I'll ask: did the Sort popup menu change from Arrangement to something else?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 09:06:29 PM »

Save the selection after the disruption.  And send me the .pmarrangement.dat file too.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Also, your screenshot didn't show the toolbar, so I'll ask: did the Sort popup menu change from Arrangement to something else?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Sorry for my late answer, busy days...

No change in order settings.

I uploaded files and replied your PM with details.
Allways shooting RAW.