Author Topic: IPTC problems in PM 4.6.1  (Read 18309 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Re: IPTC problems in PM 4.6.1
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 01:09:27 AM »
However for my problem a Premission repair couldn't be a solution because of I use FAT32 HDDs that don't have this feature....nor the problem of needing it. So the problem must be somewhere else. But where.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 06:43:28 AM »
However for my problem a Premission repair couldn't be a solution because of I use FAT32 HDDs that don't have this feature....nor the problem of needing it. So the problem must be somewhere else. But where.

It still could be the source of your problems.  If Photo Mechanic is unable to update its preferences file (which is stored in your user directory on your system drive) then the IPTC Stationery Pad won't have been saved and when loaded for use, won't have the values you expect it to have in it.

Please try running the Disk Utility application and see if you can repair permissions.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 09:51:07 PM »

It still could be the source of your problems.  If Photo Mechanic is unable to update its preferences file (which is stored in your user directory on your system drive) then the IPTC Stationery Pad won't have been saved and when loaded for use, won't have the values you expect it to have in it.

Please try running the Disk Utility application and see if you can repair permissions.

-Kirk

I see, to run it on the System HD instead of the FAT32 external one containing all the images. I will give it a try.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 09:11:36 AM »
I ran a Permission Repair, but the IPTC problem with 4.6.1 didn't solve. Most of the IPTC fields dont get added either upon ingest nor during Apply IPTC Stationery.
Allways shooting RAW.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 09:23:54 AM »
I ran a Permission Repair, but the IPTC problem with 4.6.1 didn't solve. Most of the IPTC fields dont get added either upon ingest nor during Apply IPTC Stationery.

Can you save out your IPTC Stationery Pad as an XMP file and send it to me?  Also, could you send me your PM.log file?

Thanks,

-Kirk
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 10:01:02 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 10:36:35 AM »

Can you save out your IPTC Stationery Pad as an XMP file and send it to me?  Also, could you send me your PM.log file?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Of course I can, but can you tell me where to look for the PM.log on the Mac?
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 12:01:09 PM »
It's in the same location as your cache files (Preferences|Caching, ~/Library/Caches/Photo Mechanic by default).

Cheers
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 03:03:56 AM »
I'm using the current beta (the one that expires 30 April), and I've just noticed that IPTC info is lost in all images..  although, strictly speaking, it's not lost in all the images - but existing metadata isn't loaded from images, and all IPTC fields are blank, even though loading them in Photoshop shows the data IS there...

This is the first 4.6.1 beta I've used - so can't say if it's only been introduced in this latest version..  it certainly doesn't behave like it in the final release 4.6.

Cheers,

J
iMac 27" 5K Retina 2017 -  4.2ghz 64gb RAM 1Tb HD, OSX Mojave
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 24 core GPU, 2Tb SSD, 64gb RAM

https://www.junction10.photography/

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 06:42:32 AM »
I'm using the current beta (the one that expires 30 April), and I've just noticed that IPTC info is lost in all images..  although, strictly speaking, it's not lost in all the images - but existing metadata isn't loaded from images, and all IPTC fields are blank, even though loading them in Photoshop shows the data IS there...

You're using the IPTC Info dialog to view the data or the IPTC Stationery Pad dialog?  What kind of images are they (what is the filename extension)?

-Kirk

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 04:20:22 PM »
JPG's AND the original CR2's (from a Canon 5D Mk1 and a 1DS Mk III) 
I have CR2's that were ingested and 'saved as' using 4.6 RELEASE, so I know the info is there, but when I click on the little 'i' icon in contact sheet view, all the IPTC fields are blank.  Opening the images in photoshop shows the info is still in the files, but just not displayed in 4.6.1 beta 6 (haven't tried beta earlier than 6)

I only installed the beta 6 at the weekend, so I know all the IPTC info was in the files before hand..  I've gone back to the release version now, and while files ingested using beta 6 have no IPTC info, the files created from the release version now show the IPTC info again..  so it's definitely something in the latest beta(s).

J. 
iMac 27" 5K Retina 2017 -  4.2ghz 64gb RAM 1Tb HD, OSX Mojave
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 24 core GPU, 2Tb SSD, 64gb RAM

https://www.junction10.photography/