Author Topic: PM 4.6 slow to open folders and slow to switching from different program  (Read 11118 times)

Offline norby

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: PM 4.6 slow to open folders and slow to switching from different program
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 10:39:33 AM »
Are the photos you're browsing on a local hard drive or on a network or some other slow device?

What kind of files are you browsing?  Do the files have XMP sidecar files?

-Kirk

The photos are on a Maxtor One-Touch 2 x 750G in a RAID-0 mirrored configuration.  When using them with the MacBook Pro, I have it connected via a 2 meter FW800 cable to the FW800 port on the MacBook Pro.  When using it with the Mac Mini, I have it connected via a 8-inch FW400 cable.

The files are CR2+JPG files from both a Canon 30D (RAW + Medium Fine) and a 5D Mk II (SRAW1 + Small Fine).  No XMP sidecar files, straight from the camera flash card, renamed via Photo Mechanic on the Mac Mini.  The fact that Photo Mechanic takes 30+ seconds to startup (with no network or external volumes mounted) when it should normally take 2-5 seconds, is the most disturbing.  I'm wondering if it's part of some sort of volume scan check that is choking on something?

-/\/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 08:22:09 PM »
Are the photos you're browsing on a local hard drive or on a network or some other slow device?

What kind of files are you browsing?  Do the files have XMP sidecar files?

-Kirk

The photos are on a Maxtor One-Touch 2 x 750G in a RAID-0 mirrored configuration.  When using them with the MacBook Pro, I have it connected via a 2 meter FW800 cable to the FW800 port on the MacBook Pro.  When using it with the Mac Mini, I have it connected via a 8-inch FW400 cable.

The files are CR2+JPG files from both a Canon 30D (RAW + Medium Fine) and a 5D Mk II (SRAW1 + Small Fine).  No XMP sidecar files, straight from the camera flash card, renamed via Photo Mechanic on the Mac Mini.  The fact that Photo Mechanic takes 30+ seconds to startup (with no network or external volumes mounted) when it should normally take 2-5 seconds, is the most disturbing.  I'm wondering if it's part of some sort of volume scan check that is choking on something?

I don't know.  It is impossible for me to tell without logging the startup code.  If you're willing to run a logging version of Photo Mechanic, let me know.

-Kirk

Offline norby

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 02:35:40 AM »
Looks like a clean shutdown and restart may have done the trick.  Can I grab the instrumented build in case it happens again?  Given that I've run into it twice now, chances are that it'll happen again (though a shutdown/restart will hopefully provide a continuing workaround).

-/\/