Author Topic: Request for some new Variables  (Read 5282 times)

G-Force

Request for some new Variables
« on: July 23, 2006, 07:33:49 PM »
Dear Camera Bits,

I am writing to request some additional variables be added so that additional exif data can be displayed in the info area of the preview window. Some of these variables may be specific to Nikon cameras, but I cannot find a way to view the information using the available variables. All of this information is viewable using Nikon View or Nikon Capture.

1) A variable to show the lens being used (i.e. 70-200mm, 600mm etc). The current lens variable only shows the focal length being used, not the name of the actual lens.

2) A variable to show the metering mode (i.e. multi-pattern, center-weighted, spot).

3) A variable to show the amount of flash compensation. I know there is an fcmp variable, but it doesn't show the amount of flash compensation for the D2X and D2H. Could a variable be implemented to correctly show this information for Nikon cameras?

4) A variable for flash sync mode (i.e. Front Curtain/Rear Curtain Sync)

5) A variable for Flash mode (i.e. Balanced iTTL, Manual, etc.)

Thank you for considering my requests!  :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Request for some new Variables
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 08:35:02 PM »
I am writing to request some additional variables be added so that additional exif data can be displayed in the info area of the preview window. Some of these variables may be specific to Nikon cameras, but I cannot find a way to view the information using the available variables. All of this information is viewable using Nikon View or Nikon Capture.

1) A variable to show the lens being used (i.e. 70-200mm, 600mm etc). The current lens variable only shows the focal length being used, not the name of the actual lens.

2) A variable to show the metering mode (i.e. multi-pattern, center-weighted, spot).

3) A variable to show the amount of flash compensation. I know there is an fcmp variable, but it doesn't show the amount of flash compensation for the D2X and D2H. Could a variable be implemented to correctly show this information for Nikon cameras?

4) A variable for flash sync mode (i.e. Front Curtain/Rear Curtain Sync)

5) A variable for Flash mode (i.e. Balanced iTTL, Manual, etc.)

Some of these are not available in EXIF.  Some of them are in the MakerNote which has to be reverse-engineered.  The metering mode variable is coming in version 4.4.3.2.

-Kirk