Author Topic: Favorites on networkshare  (Read 6061 times)

Offline andersv

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Favorites on networkshare
« on: April 24, 2009, 10:31:02 AM »
Hi,

We are using Photo Mechanic 4.6 on Windows Vista. Since we are in a production environment our users save their work on the network, so we have added a couple of favorites in their Photo MEchanic;

for example

News   that points to U:\Pictures\News
Sport  that points to U:\Pictures\Sport

But since we are using mobile computers U: is not always available, whichs is of course normal. But what happens when the user start Photomechanics out of office is that the Favorites dissapear and dont reappear when they are back in office, so they have to make new favourites every single time they connect to our network again.

We also have Macintosh-computers, there the favourites stays the same.....

Need help.

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Favorites on networkshare
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 11:22:55 AM »
We are using Photo Mechanic 4.6 on Windows Vista. Since we are in a production environment our users save their work on the network, so we have added a couple of favorites in their Photo MEchanic;

for example

News   that points to U:\Pictures\News
Sport  that points to U:\Pictures\Sport

But since we are using mobile computers U: is not always available, whichs is of course normal. But what happens when the user start Photomechanics out of office is that the Favorites dissapear and dont reappear when they are back in office, so they have to make new favourites every single time they connect to our network again.

It's a long-standing bug in the Favorites.  The Favorites on Windows needs to be rewritten.  I have no workaround for you at this time.

-Kirk

Offline andersv

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 11:33:36 AM »
Extremly irritating.

We have bought 30 licenses for windows that is more or less useless if no workaround or bugfix is available.

Our whole newspaper image production rotates around Photomeachanics. Right now we are using Mac OSX, but are moving to PC. 

To bad I didnt test this out before bying but i couldnt even think that would be an issue..... but now our photographers have to remake the favourites over and over again.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 05:41:45 PM »
Extremly irritating.

We have bought 30 licenses for windows that is more or less useless if no workaround or bugfix is available.

Our whole newspaper image production rotates around Photomeachanics. Right now we are using Mac OSX, but are moving to PC. 

To bad I didnt test this out before bying but i couldnt even think that would be an issue..... but now our photographers have to remake the favourites over and over again.

I'll see what I can do to fix it.  But in the meantime, there are about a half dozen ways to open a folder as a contact sheet in Photo Mechanic that have nothing to do with the Favorites panel.  You can use the Open command from the file menu.  You can drag and drop a folder from a Windows Explorer window onto Photo Mechanic.  You can right-click on a folder in Windows Explorer and open it in Photo Mechanic.  You can use the Navigator with a right-click on a folder and open it in various ways.

-Kirk

Offline andersv

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 08:52:12 PM »
Tnx, looking forward for a patch or something else :-)

I know there are other ways, but the favourites are the fastest way to copy files from photomechanics to our produtction environment. we are not using them for opening contact sheets, but for moving photos away from an open contact sheet. the favorites are the last step in managing the images on the computer, before it goes into the archive.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 01:44:48 PM »
Tnx, looking forward for a patch or something else :-)

I know there are other ways, but the favourites are the fastest way to copy files from photomechanics to our produtction environment. we are not using them for opening contact sheets, but for moving photos away from an open contact sheet. the favorites are the last step in managing the images on the computer, before it goes into the archive.

Another perhaps even faster way would be to use the Copy Photos dialog, setting the path you want, creating snapshots for different directories in your environment.  Once you've got it setup, holding down the Shift key while opening up the Copy Photos dialog will skip the dialog and immediately copy the files.  No drag and drop necessary.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline andersv

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 03:19:18 PM »
Hi,

It could be a solution even if drag-n-drop is more intutive for the user.

About the Shift option, while opening the dialog - it doesnt work when i try, the dialog always opens up.

PM 4.6

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 05:11:13 PM »
Hi,

It could be a solution even if drag-n-drop is more intutive for the user.

About the Shift option, while opening the dialog - it doesnt work when i try, the dialog always opens up.

PM 4.6

Drag and drop is certainly an intuitive method for working with items in general, but using the Copy Photos dialog is far more powerful and is still fairly easy to use.

If you're trying this on a Mac then you'll need to use the Option key instead.  The Shift key is used on Windows.  You do have to use the Copy dialog once before you can skip it.  Also, make sure you're using the 4.6.1 beta version.

I am making good progress on solving the offlline issue in the Favorites on Windows.  I need to add some cosmetic feedback that the item is offline, but otherwise it's working fine in my internal version.  It continues to remember offline favorites.

-Kirk