Author Topic: Custom exif decoding  (Read 4759 times)

Offline devenh

• View Profile
Custom exif decoding
« on: April 25, 2009, 08:01:49 PM »
I know this is a LONG SHOT but ...

Understandably, decoding all the EXIF data is not practical due to the number of fields, that fact that the fields may change over time, the number of manufacturers, etc., etc.

But say I really need to know whether VR was on when I used my D300.  If I could find out where this was stored in the EXIF data, perhaps by going to this site:

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/Nikon.html

and then use this info to allow PM to read the data at location 0x001f would be pretty cool.  I bet very quickly the PM user base could expand the number of fields PM could read.

This could work in the following way:

User provides a field description, the location (offset), and field type: string, number, code.

If the field is a string or number, PM just writes the value.

If the field is a code, then the user provides the values (e.g. 0 for VR off, 1 for VR on).

It would probably be a good idea to include a list of cameras this field is available for.  An example might be:

VR 0x001f Code (0:VR on;1VR off) (D300, D3, D700)

Deven
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 08:16:10 PM by devenh »

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
Re: Custom exif decoding
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 07:22:17 PM »
This is a cool idea.  It would be great if we could supply the more detailed lens descriptions that Nikon software shows.  If this "user exit" gets implemented, it would be great if the Info Panel on the Preview Window could show any EXIF it would normally show using extended user data if provided.