Author Topic: Copy Crop  (Read 5063 times)

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
Copy Crop
« on: April 26, 2009, 08:31:06 PM »
Sometime I shoot multiple similar images but want to upload a tighter crop. Is it possible to copy a crop from frame to frame, or store a crop like a caption and hit apply. Not to have to redraw it on each image.

Thanks
Joe
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline mattkirwan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Matt Kirwan
Re: Copy Crop
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 12:31:47 PM »
Interesting idea....

Sometimes when image quantity is low (eg: the subject ran into their house and you only got two frames off) - you often still need to apply several crops from the same image. A full length, a mid shot and a head shot ALL from the same image.

I currently:

Draw a crop - Save.
Redraw the crop - Save.

How about introducing 'Multiple Crops' - maybe different coloured boxes.
Crop 1 - White.
Crop 2 - Blue.
Crop 3 - Green.

All can be drawn and saved simultaneously. Is that even possible??!!

I know you can save crop ratios into a snapshot, but how about taking it one step further so when you click on the saved snapshot crop, a scaled, centred crop appears (already drawn) for you to begin slight adjustment.
That should be that little bit quicker??

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 01:38:14 PM »
Interesting idea....

Sometimes when image quantity is low (eg: the subject ran into their house and you only got two frames off) - you often still need to apply several crops from the same image. A full length, a mid shot and a head shot ALL from the same image.

I currently:

Draw a crop - Save.
Redraw the crop - Save.

How about introducing 'Multiple Crops' - maybe different coloured boxes.
Crop 1 - White.
Crop 2 - Blue.
Crop 3 - Green.

All can be drawn and saved simultaneously. Is that even possible??!!

I know you can save crop ratios into a snapshot, but how about taking it one step further so when you click on the saved snapshot crop, a scaled, centred crop appears (already drawn) for you to begin slight adjustment.
That should be that little bit quicker??

I could see making the saved crop part of the crop tool itself.  As for having multiple crops, it becomes a user interface issue when it comes time to save/export especially when some images have multiple crops and some don't: which one should be used?  I understand the need, I just don't see solutions.

-Kirk

Offline mattkirwan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Matt Kirwan
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 01:46:42 PM »
I could see making the saved crop part of the crop tool itself.

It could prove quite handy having a preset crop appear centred and covering 40-50% of the frame...
...it would save one click and one mouse movement!! (I don't however think it will be worth the hours of your time to implement).

comes time to save/export especially when some images have multiple crops

Fair point. It could become quite messy (especially when returning to the image at a later date). The only workaround would be some sort of 'checkbox' system - ticking the white, blue or green boxes if you want any or all of them cropped - that would then process the ticked crops accordingly.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 02:03:18 PM by mattkirwan »

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 12:07:36 AM »
Kirk - Any chance of my original request to copy a crop from frame to frame?

Thanks
Joe
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 06:59:27 AM »
Kirk - Any chance of my original request to copy a crop from frame to frame?

Possibly at some point.

-Kirk

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 08:27:39 PM »
If it helps bump up the priority, I would like the ability to copy the same crop across multiple images.  It would be extremely helpful for sports action sequence bursts.

Danny

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 07:13:29 AM »
Hi Kirk -

Is the "Possibly at some point." any closer?

Thanks

Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 09:21:32 AM »
Joe,

Is the "Possibly at some point." any closer?

I suppose you're asking if the 4.6.2 update will have this feature?  That answer would be no.

Possibly in a future version.

-Kirk

Offline ChrisB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 03:14:32 PM »
On a similar note, my wish list includes a crop frame with movable vertical and horizontal cursor lines.  Crop borders and cursors are stored.

The application is to ensure a subject feature in a sequence of shots always appears in the same location in the frame: the crop with cursor lines can be slid over the image until the crosshairs lie over the critical spot.

Chris

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 08:49:23 PM »
Chris,

On a similar note, my wish list includes a crop frame with movable vertical and horizontal cursor lines.  Crop borders and cursors are stored.

The application is to ensure a subject feature in a sequence of shots always appears in the same location in the frame: the crop with cursor lines can be slid over the image until the crosshairs lie over the critical spot.

Can you please illustrate with a mockup image?

-Kirk

Offline ChrisB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 06:44:23 PM »
Hello Kirk,

Please find attached my illustration of the movable cursor concept.  The choice of subject matter really isn't a good example of why such a feature is needed, but it's clear for the purposes of showing how the implementation might go.

Real world applications include - preparing a sequence of images for binding in a book (or e-book), particularly if the images include blocks of text that should appear in the same place on each page.  You can also imaginge a need to correct for handheld camera movement when ideally the camera should have been tripod mounted.

I have included some additional suggestions in the attachment.

I realise that this functionality lies on the margins of PM's remit, but there seems to be some desire that quick & easy framing of shots before uploading.

Related tools such as de-skewing to straighten horizontals, or correction of geometric distortion are of course already available in other products, but the cursor-assisted crop frame would be unique, I believe.

Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]