Author Topic: Arranjement confusion (NEF+JPEG and NEF only).  (Read 8226 times)

Offline rbuchner

• View Profile
Arranjement confusion (NEF+JPEG and NEF only).
« on: May 02, 2009, 11:22:37 AM »
Hi!

Im using the newest beta version as suggested by Kirk to solve some issues with color tagging between 2 computers on a network (problem solved).

Now I found another problem which I cant figure out the source of it.

On a wedding I used NEF only, JPEG only, and RAW+JPEG (this last one by mistake).

If I choose capture time, the NEF+JPEG get mixed with the NEF only (out of the capture time order). The only way I can work around this, is unclicking the "combine raw+jpeg" in VIEW menu (or cntrl+J), so I can only read JPEG, not jpg+raw. So I finally can see all the pictures on the correct capture time

My question is:

If I unclick that, and tag a photo, which one am I tagging? the jpeg copy or the nef one?

Thanks

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Arranjement confusion (NEF+JPEG and NEF only).
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 12:04:28 PM »
On a wedding I used NEF only, JPEG only, and RAW+JPEG (this last one by mistake).

If I choose capture time, the NEF+JPEG get mixed with the NEF only (out of the capture time order).
What do you mean here? Are you saying that the NEFs have a different capture time from the JPEGs? That should not be the case as they definitely should have the same capture time. The only way I can think of both files having a different capture time is when something else than your camera has changed the file...

The only way I can work around this, is unclicking the "combine raw+jpeg" in VIEW menu (or cntrl+J), so I can only read JPEG, not jpg+raw. So I finally can see all the pictures on the correct capture time

My question is:

If I unclick that, and tag a photo, which one am I tagging? the jpeg copy or the nef one?
If you do not have the "combine RAW+JPG" enabled, you will be tagging ONLY the file that you have selected. If you want to tag both at the same time (which I think you want), you'll have to enable "combine RAW+JPG" again.

Does this help?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline rbuchner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 12:30:37 PM »

If I choose capture time, the NEF+JPEG get mixed with the NEF only (out of the capture time order).
What do you mean here? Are you saying that the NEFs have a different capture time from the JPEGs? That should not be the case as they definitely should have the same capture time. The only way I can think of both files having a different capture time is when something else than your camera has changed the file...

The only way I can work around this, is unclicking the "combine raw+jpeg" in VIEW menu (or cntrl+J), so I can only read JPEG, not jpg+raw. So I finally can see all the pictures on the correct capture time

My question is:

If you do not have the "combine RAW+JPG" enabled, you will be tagging ONLY the file that you have selected. If you want to tag both at the same time (which I think you want), you'll have to enable "combine RAW+JPG" again.

Does this help?

Hi!

Sorry if I dont explain correctly (english limitations). I will try to elaborate:

I started shooting raw on the morning, on afternoow I changed to JPEG, and on sunsetting I wanted to change to NEF again, but mistakenly left the camera on RAW+JPEG.

When I was backk inthe office, I downloaded all cards and told PM to sort it by CAPTURE TIME. What I see after that is:

first photo is a NEF, which was the first photo taken indeed.
second photo is a NEF+jpeg, but from the late afternoon (sunset) - the date and time is totally different (from the same camera)
the third photo is a NEF again, which was the second photo taken at the day...
the fourth photo is a NEF+JPEG again, from the sunset, and so on....

If I turn that option of (cntrl+J) all files go to the correct order by capture time, but now I see only a JPEG (not the raw+jpeg) under the thumb.

One more problem Im facing (I dont know if its a D300 wrong setting by the user, which is me, or if its a PM problem or setting) is that RAW+JPEG is giving me four copies of the same picture.
At first, I thought it was bracketing, but the pictures are the same (same name, hour, WB) its a exact copy.

If I select JPEG, its giving me 3 copies.

Do you guys have any idea of wahts going on? I searched D300 manual and could not find an answer for it.

Thanks!

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 01:25:44 PM »
I started shooting raw on the morning, on afternoow I changed to JPEG, and on sunsetting I wanted to change to NEF again, but mistakenly left the camera on RAW+JPEG.

When I was backk inthe office, I downloaded all cards and told PM to sort it by CAPTURE TIME. What I see after that is:

first photo is a NEF, which was the first photo taken indeed.
second photo is a NEF+jpeg, but from the late afternoon (sunset) - the date and time is totally different (from the same camera)
the third photo is a NEF again, which was the second photo taken at the day...
the fourth photo is a NEF+JPEG again, from the sunset, and so on....
Hmmm, this sounds really weird. It sounds like the sort by capture time is not working as it should. I have never seen this happen though, so something else may be wrong too (I don't have files with a RAW+JPG pair, so I may have seen the behaviour you are describing here either). Hopefully Kirk can shed some light on the situation.

If I turn that option of (cntrl+J) all files go to the correct order by capture time, but now I see only a JPEG (not the raw+jpeg) under the thumb.
Again, very weird. Where do the NEFs go in this case? As they have the same capture time, they should actually have gone next to the jpg…

One more problem Im facing (I dont know if its a D300 wrong setting by the user, which is me, or if its a PM problem or setting) is that RAW+JPEG is giving me four copies of the same picture.
At first, I thought it was bracketing, but the pictures are the same (same name, hour, WB) its a exact copy.
If I select JPEG, its giving me 3 copies.

Do you guys have any idea of wahts going on? I searched D300 manual and could not find an answer for it.

This really sounds like you have ingested the same card multiple times…

Cheers
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline rbuchner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 03:15:50 PM »
Hi, Again.

I hope I can also find the solution for this.

I didnt ingested the car more than once (my ingest preferences is set to ingest new photos only).

Now Im asking myself if this is a camera setting (which I cant find anything wrong in that) or if a problem of visualization (the file might not be duplicated but Im seeing like it was).

Do you guys need a screenshot or anything to see better what Im talking about?

Thanks!!

Ricardo

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 03:24:17 PM »
Ricardo, yes, a screenshot would certainly be nice. Take one with RAW+JPG combined and one without.

Perhaps that can shed some light on the situation.
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline rbuchner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 03:34:28 PM »
Thanks, hayo.

Tomorrow morning I will send it (at home right now).

Ricardo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 08:28:05 PM »
Ricardo,

Tomorrow morning I will send it (at home right now).

When you create the screenshot, please make sure to add an extra thumbnail label with the following variables in the label:

{date} {time}

That way we can see what the capture dates and times are.

Also, if you want to send me some sample files, then please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

-Kirk

Offline rbuchner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 11:51:42 AM »
Hi, Kirk

I was investigating about it and have new info to add:

I have 3 cameras (D80, D200 and D300).

The file names of D80 and D300 are conflicting toghether.

I have a a file from D80 called DSC_0506.nef and another file with the same name from D300, but jpeg (DSC_506.jpeg). Both files are from totally different capture times (D80 nefs are from the first in the morning and the D300 jpegs are from sunsetting)

In PM I see a raw+jpeg with the d300 thumb with this name DSC_508, but when I click it to edit the file, it opens up the D80 raw file.

Maybe I didnt shoot raw+nef mistakenly as I thought before, but PM is considering I did it due the file names are the same, except por the extensions.

I took some screenshots of it, but again I couldnt send it (internet problems in office), tomorrow morning I will send the screenshot as you requested, with capture times.

The many copies of the same picture that I mentioned on earlier posts, I found it has different names, but same capture time. Im investigating if this is some sort of bracketing from the camera.

thanks

Ricardo

Offline rswinter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 07:20:59 PM »
I had a siliiar problem with my D70s and D300 where the file names would overlap.  I went into the D300 Menu and changed it to use D3C_#### (I think I had to do it for each of the 4 banks of custom settings..)  and then located all the previous D300 images and renamed them....

Offline rbuchner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 06:19:51 AM »
Thanks, RSWinter!

I have changed it on my camera, to avoid future problems with it, thanks!

And renamed my D80 shots, so they dont overlap anymore!

Problem SOLVED!

Now I still have a problem.

Is the multiple files when shooting JPEG.

My doubt is when they were created.

Was it created on camera? Maybe my card is not fast enough (Sandisk Ultra II 4GB) to record the files so the camera keeps writing the previous one?

Or is it created when dowloading the files? By the card reader or by PM?

And how do I make PM show me just ONE file (hiding the copies from me)? Is there such possibility?

Ricardo

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 06:32:04 AM by rbuchner »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 06:36:45 AM »
Ricardo,

Now I still have a problem.

Is the multiple files when shooting JPEG.

My doubt is when they were created.

Was it created on camera? Maybe my card is not fast enough (Sandisk Ultra II 4GB) to record the files so the camera keeps writing the previous one?

Or is it created when dowloading the files? By the card reader or by PM?

And how do I make PM show me just ONE file (hiding the copies from me)? Is there such possibility?

Your camera created those duplicate images.  How it did that, I do not know.  As far as PM is concerned, they are not duplicate images since they all have unique filenames.  PM does not 'look' at your images for similar features, so it does not know that two images with different filenames actually look alike.

-Kirk

Offline rbuchner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 06:47:15 AM »
Thanks Kirk!

After I posted this thread I found the card, put it on camera and noticed the files were duplicated in camera.
Now I have another issue to resolve, but does not concern PM.

The help of all here was tremendous! Im very grateful!

Ricardo