Author Topic: Variables during file renaming  (Read 3028 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Variables during file renaming
« on: May 04, 2009, 05:47:50 AM »
I just discovered that single file rename (pressing enter on the contact sheet) doesn't allow to use variables, and multi file rename still doesn't allow to use variables without the use of either {fbas} or {seqn}. I understand it is to prevent file name conflicting but I often have the problem that I have to reuse previous filename I store in {subj} but to rename to {subj} is not supported.
Can or will there be any help with this?
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Variables during file renaming
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 06:38:32 AM »
I just discovered that single file rename (pressing enter on the contact sheet) doesn't allow to use variables, and multi file rename still doesn't allow to use variables without the use of either {fbas} or {seqn}. I understand it is to prevent file name conflicting but I often have the problem that I have to reuse previous filename I store in {subj} but to rename to {subj} is not supported.

There are a set of variables that PM considers suitable for file renaming, those variables that tend to produce unique results.  {subj} is not one of them.  Can you tell me what you're trying to accomplish?

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 10:55:36 PM »

There are a set of variables that PM considers suitable for file renaming, those variables that tend to produce unique results.  {subj} is not one of them.  Can you tell me what you're trying to accomplish?

-Kirk

During ingest I usually put the filename in the {subj} field for later use and in cases it happens the files are renamed I would like to restore the original filename.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 06:37:20 AM »

-Kirk

During ingest I usually put the filename in the {subj} field for later use and in cases it happens the files are renamed I would like to restore the original filename.

If you use Edit Status or Object Name instead, the corresponding variables are considered as 'renaming safe' variables.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 12:14:47 PM »

-Kirk

If you use Edit Status or Object Name instead, the corresponding variables are considered as 'renaming safe' variables.

-Kirk

Strange at first but it is good to know, and thanks a lot! I think I will change my workflow to benefit from this info.
Allways shooting RAW.