Author Topic: iptc stationary pad and sub directories  (Read 7119 times)

Offline dave.thomas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
iptc stationary pad and sub directories
« on: May 04, 2009, 05:34:52 PM »
Is it possible to have iptc stationary pad work on files within selected directories and also their sub directories?

Thanks Dave

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: iptc stationary pad and sub directories
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 06:21:45 PM »
Dave,

Is it possible to have iptc stationary pad work on files within selected directories and also their sub directories?

The IPTC Stationery Pad only operates on the selected photos.  That said, you can get PM to open a folder and its subfolders from the Navigator or the Favorites.  Just right-click on a folder and choose one of the options that opens a folder and subfolders in a contact sheet.  Then select the photos and apply your IPTC Stationery Pad.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline dave.thomas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 07:58:44 AM »
Maybe I am missing something but I still can't get Stationary Pad to be applied to photo's selected in the sub-directories, even within a contact sheet?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 08:00:33 AM »
Dave,

Maybe I am missing something but I still can't get Stationary Pad to be applied to photo's selected in the sub-directories, even within a contact sheet?

Are you opening the contact sheet in the method I described above?  Are all of the images you're expecting to see actually in the contact sheet?  Are you selecting all of them before you go into the IPTC Stationery Pad dialog?

-Kirk

Offline dave.thomas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 08:05:33 AM »
Yes

Offline dave.thomas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 08:08:09 AM »
Ah! I get it.... I got it working now thanks.

Offline dave.thomas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 08:11:50 AM »
Is it possible to save contact sheet settings including selected photos?

Offline dave.thomas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 08:17:50 AM »
Actually, I checked again and I still can't get Stationary Pad to be applied to photo's selected in the sub-directories, even if chosen within a contact sheet?  It only applies to the chosen directory.  Dave

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 11:05:45 AM »
Actually, I checked again and I still can't get Stationary Pad to be applied to photo's selected in the sub-directories, even if chosen within a contact sheet?  It only applies to the chosen directory.  Dave

I don't see how that's possible unless you have some odd permission settings on some of the sub-directories.  If you manually open one of the sub-directories as a contact sheet, can you apply the IPTC Stationery Pad and have it work properly?

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 11:06:36 AM »
Is it possible to save contact sheet settings including selected photos?

Not the selection, no.  But you can save the set of folders as a Multi-Folder Favorite.  Use the Remember Folders command on the File menu.

-Kirk

Offline dave.thomas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 06:40:02 PM »
Kirk, it doesn't work because it is buggy. There are two other posts relating to the same issues recently, see "Opening Subfolders in Contact sheet problem" and "Can't open Favorites Subfolders in a contact sheet by double clicking".

The problem doesn't just relate only to Favorites Subfolders but also in Navigator panel and the problem is the contact sheet system. First it is difficult to open a new contact sheet or replace a contact sheet when you choose to include sub-folders as you get an error message. Even if you don't choose to open any contact sheet at start up you always have to close the current contact sheet first. That you can live with, but there is more.

After closing the current contact sheet you can "open folder and subfolders in a new contact sheet", however then nothing much else works within that contact sheet. The first sub-directory opens and displays its picture files, but locks everything else out. You cannot choose any other sub-directories or files within that contact sheet, you can only use the "select all" and "de-select all" options within the contact sheet, and work with other folders not included in the contact sheet.

Hope this helps you to get it sorted.

Regards Dave

« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 06:49:51 PM by dave.thomas »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 06:53:16 PM »
Dave,

Kirk, it doesn't work because it is buggy. There are two other posts relating to the same issues recently, see "Opening Subfolders in Contact sheet problem" and "Can't open Favorites Subfolders in a contact sheet by double clicking".

The problem doesn't just relate only to Favorites Subfolders but also in Navigator panel and the problem is the contact sheet system. First it is difficult to open a new contact sheet or replace a contact sheet when you choose to include sub-folders as you get an error message. Even if you don't choose to open any contact sheet at start up you always have to close the current contact sheet first. That you can live with, but there is more.

After closing the current contact sheet you can "open folder and subfolders in a new contact sheet", however then nothing much else works within that contact sheet. The first sub-directory opens and displays its picture files, but locks everything else out. You cannot choose any other sub-directories or files within that contact sheet, you can only use the "select all" and "de-select all" options within the contact sheet, and work with other folders not included in the contact sheet.

Hope this helps you to get it sorted.

What OS are you running and which version of Photo Mechanic are you running?

-Kirk

Offline dave.thomas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 10:16:42 AM »
Kirk, I am running XP fully updated, plus latest 4.6 version of photo mechanic.

Dave

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 10:30:44 AM »
Dave,

Kirk, I am running XP fully updated, plus latest 4.6 version of photo mechanic.

You should definitely get the 4.6.1 beta 7 version of Photo Mechanic and then check to see if your issue(s) still persist.  If they do, write back and give me explicit instructions (along with JPEG screenshots) on how to reproduce your issue.

Thanks,

-Kirk