Author Topic: updating thumbnails  (Read 2931 times)

Offline kevinmorris

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
updating thumbnails
« on: May 07, 2009, 08:31:27 PM »
I am using MacBook Pro 2.4ghz intel with 2gb RAM, using OS10.5.6, and PM 4.5.4
I ingest from Canon 1DsmkIII on CF card into PM contact sheet, which then shows me the .cr2 thumbnails.
Then I use Edit Photos for individual files, which takes me to Photoshop CS3 Adobe Camera Raw, where I adjust the image and click Done.
When I go back to PM and select the thumbnail for the file I just fixed it does not update the adjustment. In other words an unexposed image is still rendered dark even after I adjust it in ACR.
How do I get PM to automatically update the cr2 thumbnails?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: updating thumbnails
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 08:45:41 PM »
Kevin,

I am using MacBook Pro 2.4ghz intel with 2gb RAM, using OS10.5.6, and PM 4.5.4
I ingest from Canon 1DsmkIII on CF card into PM contact sheet, which then shows me the .cr2 thumbnails.
Then I use Edit Photos for individual files, which takes me to Photoshop CS3 Adobe Camera Raw, where I adjust the image and click Done.
When I go back to PM and select the thumbnail for the file I just fixed it does not update the adjustment. In other words an unexposed image is still rendered dark even after I adjust it in ACR.
How do I get PM to automatically update the cr2 thumbnails?

It's just not possible.  Adobe does not update the embedded JPEG in the RAW file after adjusting it and they don't share their rendering technology with other developers.  If you're willing to use the DNG format then Adobe's apps will update the embedded previews in DNG files and the adjusted images will appear in Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline kevinmorris

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 09:14:44 PM »
well, I tried updating with DNGs that I adjust in ACR and hit 'done', and still no update....

Offline kevinmorris

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 09:17:27 PM »
JPEGs update nicely (automatically and instantly)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 06:40:27 AM »
well, I tried updating with DNGs that I adjust in ACR and hit 'done', and still no update....

Did the DNG file date or size change?

-Kirk