Author Topic: A couple of ideas...  (Read 16724 times)

Offline mattkirwan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Matt Kirwan
A couple of ideas...
« on: May 09, 2009, 12:09:52 PM »
Just some thoughts for possible pros and cons discussion.

1) How about integrating the 'Ingest Window' into the top menu (or anywhere) - so long as its not a floating window?

I always find it gets in the way when I want to begin editing while still ingesting, but would still like to know how far along it is. I know the audible 'click/bong' tells me its done, but it would be handy to see its progress without interrupting the edit? Even with small 'Eject' + 'Stop' icons?
Photoshop mock-up attached.
I've noticed the great new FTP Upload Progress on individual images, how about using the same idea for the 'Overall FTP Queue Progress' to?

2) This feature may be present - if it is I can't find it.
Is it possible to, upon insertion of a CF card, have PM begin automatically ingesting the contents. This would be especially useful at football matches where I leave my laptop shut, but still on and when there is a break in the game CF card 1 is removed and plugged in, allowing it to upload (ALL/TAGGED, CAPTIONED ETC...) while I still fire away on CF Card 2. Obviously cards can then be auto ejected and rotated throughout the game!
I currently use Image Capture for this, but as I'm sure you are aware this only gets the images on the computer not captioned, renamed and ready for quick scrutiny before wiring.

Just my thoughts

Regards,

Matt Kirwan
+44(0) 7948 276 879
http://www.mattkirwan.com/

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: A couple of ideas...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 01:35:21 PM »
Matt,

Just some thoughts for possible pros and cons discussion.

1) How about integrating the 'Ingest Window' into the top menu (or anywhere) - so long as its not a floating window?

I always find it gets in the way when I want to begin editing while still ingesting, but would still like to know how far along it is. I know the audible 'click/bong' tells me its done, but it would be handy to see its progress without interrupting the edit? Even with small 'Eject' + 'Stop' icons?
Photoshop mock-up attached.
I've noticed the great new FTP Upload Progress on individual images, how about using the same idea for the 'Overall FTP Queue Progress' to?

Often people use multiple card readers and have multiple Ingests going at the same time.  I don't see how we would have multiple progress bars and interface for cancelling in the toolbar.  It would probably be better to just make the Ingest progress be a panel like Favorites or the Navigator.  But even that has its own potential issues since you can have multiple top level windows and it would be odd to have the Ingest progress panel appear in multiple windows.

Quote from: mattkirwan
2) This feature may be present - if it is I can't find it.
Is it possible to, upon insertion of a CF card, have PM begin automatically ingesting the contents. This would be especially useful at football matches where I leave my laptop shut, but still on and when there is a break in the game CF card 1 is removed and plugged in, allowing it to upload (ALL/TAGGED, CAPTIONED ETC...) while I still fire away on CF Card 2. Obviously cards can then be auto ejected and rotated throughout the game!
I currently use Image Capture for this, but as I'm sure you are aware this only gets the images on the computer not captioned, renamed and ready for quick scrutiny before wiring.

It is currently not possible.

Thanks for the feedback,

-Kirk

Offline mattkirwan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Matt Kirwan
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 01:57:08 PM »
Cheers for the quick responses Kirk.

Would it be possible to then make it a 'Preference' setting to have either the windows as: 'Floating' / 'Left Pane' / 'Drop down from Toolbar'.

Meaning the INGEST/UPLOAD would only appear in one place, but a place that is customisable (sic???) by the user?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 02:39:54 PM »
Cheers for the quick responses Kirk.

Would it be possible to then make it a 'Preference' setting to have either the windows as: 'Floating' / 'Left Pane' / 'Drop down from Toolbar'.

Meaning the INGEST/UPLOAD would only appear in one place, but a place that is customisable (sic???) by the user?

Adding the preference popup menu is easy.  Making it work is difficult.  The Ingest and Upload progress windows are entirely cross-platform code right now.  To place them in the toolbar or as a panel in the contact sheet window would make the code be non-cross-platform and would be a lot of work.

Why not just minimize them to the Dock when you don't want to see them?

-Kirk

Offline mattkirwan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Matt Kirwan
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 03:33:40 PM »
Why not just minimize them to the Dock when you don't want to see them?

I'm fairly new to the Mac Platform and never really got the hang of minimizing to the Dock - to me its not as obvious as Gnome or indeed the Windows 'Start' bar. So from there to get rid of the floating palettes I began simply clicking the larger PM window, dropping the floating palette behind - which, of course is a pain to bring to the front via > Window > ...

It really isn't that much of an issue, after all I'm guessing i'm the first person to mention this, just an issue with the way I work, I suppose...

I've been tinkering with 4.6 and very impressed, I'm seriously contemplating personally upgrading (work are unwilling volume upgrade!)

Kirk,

I'll drop you a message, I have a couple of questions, away from this topic.

Thanks for all the effort.

Regards,

Matt Kirwan

Offline denisbalibouse

• View Profile
    • Display of my work
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 01:40:14 AM »
Hello

I would second the request for an automatic upload on ingest of a card.

There is a system in the agency i work for in which you define a path where the pics forlder is on the cf card and when it detects a card it automaticcaly upload the folder and customize also the option of deleting (auto/no/and upon request) and ejecting.

Bests

Denis

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 05:43:19 AM »
PM can be set in Preferences to automatically offer intest dialog upon connecting a memory card. If you set your ingest settings prior to that (as you would be required, if an auto ingest option would exist) then you only have to press Enter after plugging your card in.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Ben Curtis

• View Profile
    • Snappertalk blog
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 02:55:36 PM »
I second the request for some kind of indicator of ingest progress in the main window. Constantly having to switch back and forth between windows is a pain sometimes.... I'd love to have it as a panel at bottom left underneath Favourites (for example) but would be happy with any kind of indicator that is possible...

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 05:23:28 PM »
Maybe adding a resizable (yet scrollable) panel below navigator could be solved to host the ingest progress bars this way all download progresses could be visible. Also if one download completes could go bottom in the list allowing for a resize only one progress bar is visible. If all downloads complete except one than the one is visible and if it completes the user can be sure no other downloads are in progress hidden. I hope this makes sense.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline denisbalibouse

• View Profile
    • Display of my work
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 11:29:57 PM »
PM can be set in Preferences to automatically offer intest dialog upon connecting a memory card. If you set your ingest settings prior to that (as you would be required, if an auto ingest option would exist) then you only have to press Enter after plugging your card in.

This feature doesn't work all the time with me (latest beta on XP SP2) and has mentionned by Matt it would be helpful during sport events when you have only a short amount of time and very limited space available. The laptop is on the side camera around the neck with 70-200 mm and 400  mm on a monpod.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 12:39:47 AM »
This feature doesn't work all the time with me (latest beta on XP SP2)

Hopefully Kirk and his team will fix it. This should work however I almost never ingest on my Win machine.

and has mentionned by Matt it would be helpful during sport events when you have only a short amount of time and very limited space available. The laptop is on the side camera around the neck with 70-200 mm and 400  mm on a monpod.

I understand the request and maybe would use it myself if it existed. But you have to convince Kirk first of all, but he said it is not possible.

mattkirwan mentioned they use Image Capture to copy the files this way onto the computer. Maybe the live ingest feature (together with Image Capture or without it) could be used this way since as I understand it is for some similar purposes: do ingest functions on files coming into some folder.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline denisbalibouse

• View Profile
    • Display of my work
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 06:50:08 AM »
I think Image Capture is Mac ?!? I am on XP, although i used it this way a few years ago when i was freelance on an Apple laptop.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 06:58:35 AM »
Denis,

I think Image Capture is Mac ?!? I am on XP, although i used it this way a few years ago when i was freelance on an Apple laptop.

Does AutoPlay not work on your XP system?

-Kirk

Offline denisbalibouse

• View Profile
    • Display of my work
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 12:16:15 AM »
Not every time unfortunately

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 01:19:35 AM »
I sometimes notice that Windows did not always recognise the insertion of a CF card in my reader. Is this perhaps also the problem with your setup? Reinserting the card worked usually (sometimes I had to try multiple times though).

I always thought this was a combination of causes: certain (older CF?) cards, my card reader, and the OS.

Note: if XP's autoplay does not recognise the card insertion, there isn't much PM can do as it relies on the OS to recognise the card in the first place...

Cheers
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl