Author Topic: req. Canon camera variables  (Read 2925 times)

Offline gregoire

• View Profile
    • www.emilegregoire.com
req. Canon camera variables
« on: April 04, 2009, 01:44:37 AM »
Hi Kirk,

The recent Canons (and Nikons) feature 'micro adjustment'. It's kind of a hassle to adjust the camera but the results are pretty good. A variable displaying the amount of Micro Adjustment (just like in Canon's DPP) would be great to have (I know it's buried somewhere in EXIF data). It would definitely speed up adjusting.

Other variables that are buried somewhere in there and which would be really nice to have are Focusing Distance and AF-point. The first speaks for itself and the latter, in Canon software, displays the AF point used while shooting the image.

All three variables are really fine to have around when troubleshooting focusing problems (be it camera-based, lens-based or user-based). I've had my share of this (just received a brand new 1D3 from Canon after 1.5 years of trouble with my previous one) and have had to revert to Canon DPP for this purpose while I vastly prefer to use PM for everything but RAW conversion.

Cheers,
Emile

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
Re: req. Canon camera variables
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 01:56:12 PM »
I'd like to add my request for a Focus Distance variable. I know it exists in the Canon Exif, but don't know how hard it is to parse. I just had some images where having this would have been a helpful way to separate some shots.

Ric Cohn
1Ds Mark III