Author Topic: File renaming help needed  (Read 4132 times)

Offline leslierich

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
File renaming help needed
« on: May 14, 2009, 04:50:04 PM »
I'm new to PM and am trying to rename some image files that were previously renamed in Photoshop.  I would like to be able to go back to the original file name as it came out of the camera. In Photoshop, this name is called the Camera Raw file name, but it is not visible in PM's variables options.  Is it possible to do this with PM?  Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: File renaming help needed
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 05:14:39 PM »
I'm new to PM and am trying to rename some image files that were previously renamed in Photoshop.  I would like to be able to go back to the original file name as it came out of the camera. In Photoshop, this name is called the Camera Raw file name, but it is not visible in PM's variables options.  Is it possible to do this with PM?  Thanks in advance for any help!

PM has no knowledge of that Photoshop-specific information.  That said, you may still be able to achieve what you're wanting to do.  If you remember how your images usually are named, you can enter the non-numeric part as a prefix and follow it up with the {frame4} variable.  Not all file formats provide frame number information, but many do.  So for instance, if your images start out with '_MG_' or 'IMG_' you could enter:

_MG_{frame4}
or
IMG_{frame4}

The rename dialog will show you a preview of the resulting name at the bottom of the dialog.  If it works, then perform the rename.  If it doesn't, then you'll have to fix it in Photoshop.

HTH,

-Kirk