Author Topic: Delete Metadata - EXIF  (Read 8223 times)

Offline RichWagner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Delete Metadata - EXIF
« on: April 01, 2009, 12:53:18 PM »
Photo Mechanic 4.6, Mac

I'm using Tools ->Delete Metadata - Exif on TIFF files, and everything is stripped appropriately except the Model (e.g., Nikon D2X) and Firmware (e.g., Adobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh).  Is there a way to strip this information - or is there a reason why it is not stripped? This seems like a bug...

Thanks,

--Rich Wagner
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 02:12:40 PM by RichWagner »

Offline RichWagner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Delete Metadata - EXIF
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 12:59:57 AM »
Can anyone confirm whether this is a bug or "as expected" behavior?

Thanks,

--Rich Wagner

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 06:16:14 AM »
Rich,

Can anyone confirm whether this is a bug or "as expected" behavior?

Do you still have other metadata left in the file like XMP perhaps?  Did you use Photoshop, Bridge, or Lightroom on the file?  If so, each of those products put all kinds of duplicate 'EXIF' data in the XMP data that they generate.  Having PM strip EXIF metadata does not cause the duplicate 'EXIF' data found in the XMP data to be stripped.  If you're uncertain about this, please send us a sample file and we can look at the file to see where this data is found.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

-Kirk

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 07:33:39 AM »
kirk, some time ago, you explained to me, that PM is not really deleting the EXIF-data, it do just some kind of "hide" it.
using the latest version of PM on win10

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 03:01:45 PM »
Deleting the "Exif" data doesn't delete the other TIFF tags like make, model, and software.  We could add those as separate flags for the various fields, but right now we only remove the Exif tag itself, which points to the majority of Exif info.

--dennis