Author Topic: filenamebase, ingest and rename issue  (Read 4090 times)

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
filenamebase, ingest and rename issue
« on: May 19, 2009, 08:03:12 AM »
I have a peculiar issue where I assign {filenamebase} to an otherwise unused IPTC field in the IPTC stationary pad.   The intent is that any TIFs, JPGs, etc., generated from the NEF will have an identical value in all the generated files and the original file, tying them all together.

If I run the IPTC stationary pad after the ingest, this all works fine.  However, on ingest I get the camera generated file name from the flash card, which is meaningless.

What I really need is a variable called "newfilenamebase" or something like that  ;D

Is there any pre-existing way to do this?  As it stands I have to remember to always blow the IPTC stationary pad back down through all the images, somewhat negating the benefits of the IPTC assignment on import.  I'd be better off not even assigning the IPTC pad to force me to do it after the ingest.  A side problem is that I have to remember not to do this assignment on any generated JPG and TIF files.  It would be better to do this once, and only once, during the ingest, but I need to know the renamed name of the file via a variable.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: filenamebase, ingest and rename issue
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 08:24:00 AM »
I have a peculiar issue where I assign {filenamebase} to an otherwise unused IPTC field in the IPTC stationary pad.   The intent is that any TIFs, JPGs, etc., generated from the NEF will have an identical value in all the generated files and the original file, tying them all together.

If I run the IPTC stationary pad after the ingest, this all works fine.  However, on ingest I get the camera generated file name from the flash card, which is meaningless.

What I really need is a variable called "newfilenamebase" or something like that  ;D

Is there any pre-existing way to do this?  As it stands I have to remember to always blow the IPTC stationary pad back down through all the images, somewhat negating the benefits of the IPTC assignment on import.  I'd be better off not even assigning the IPTC pad to force me to do it after the ingest.  A side problem is that I have to remember not to do this assignment on any generated JPG and TIF files.  It would be better to do this once, and only once, during the ingest, but I need to know the renamed name of the file via a variable.

We've wanted to add a variable like that for some time now.  It can't be implemented easily because of a 'catch-22' situation where the renaming string evaluation may not actually be the final filename because of naming collisions at the destination directory.  The IPTC Stationery Pad is applied before the final destination filename is found.

If your renaming string is unique, you could just duplicate the string in the field you want to use in the IPTC Stationery Pad.  You'll get the desired result.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 08:35:00 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply, Kirk.

My renaming string is:  DSCN_{seqn}

I would assume that {seqn} will not be interpreted correctly since the renaming operation is very independent of the iptc stationary application?

Neil

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 09:04:09 AM »
Neil,

Thanks for the quick reply, Kirk.

My renaming string is:  DSCN_{seqn}

I would assume that {seqn} will not be interpreted correctly since the renaming operation is very independent of the iptc stationary application?

While I haven't specifically tested that aspect, I expect that the sequence number will be the same in both places.

-Kirk

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 09:08:39 AM »
Thanks, I may just try it, although it seems "dangerous", in terms of being careful where I use it and how.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 09:18:55 AM »
Neil,

Thanks, I may just try it, although it seems "dangerous", in terms of being careful where I use it and how.

Take a card, format it, shoot a few pictures.  Then try it out as a test.  See if it works.

-Kirk