Author Topic: Undo delete feature  (Read 5792 times)

Offline mbrakes

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Undo delete feature
« on: May 19, 2009, 09:53:39 AM »
With the most recent version of PhotoMechanic - 4.6.1 - I find that the program sometimes slows down, and takes a while to catch up with me while browsing RAW files from my Canon1DsIII. I frequently find myself having browsed to the next picture - and THEN the delete key I pressed for the last photo suddenly kicks in, a little too late, and deletes the wrong photo. I find this behaviour really annoying, particularly because there is no simple apple+z key combo to undo the deletion. Instead I have to open and browse the trash can, and drag the file back into the original folder, which really breaks the photo-editing flow. So an undo feature for photo deletion in browse mode would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Undo delete feature
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 10:05:31 AM »
With the most recent version of PhotoMechanic - 4.6.1 - I find that the program sometimes slows down, and takes a while to catch up with me while browsing RAW files from my Canon1DsIII. I frequently find myself having browsed to the next picture - and THEN the delete key I pressed for the last photo suddenly kicks in, a little too late, and deletes the wrong photo. I find this behaviour really annoying, particularly because there is no simple apple+z key combo to undo the deletion. Instead I have to open and browse the trash can, and drag the file back into the original folder, which really breaks the photo-editing flow. So an undo feature for photo deletion in browse mode would be most appreciated. Thanks.

OK, but may I ask what kind of system you're browsing on?  The 1Ds Mark III produces extremely large images that do take time to render and if your system isn't up to the task, slow downs will occur.

I agree that an Undo facility would be useful.  Unfortunately Undo was not designed into the architecture of PM from the beginning so adding an Undo system will not be easy.

-Kirk

Offline mbrakes

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 11:28:10 AM »
Thanks Kirk,

I'm currently using a MBP 15" 2.5Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4GBs of RAM and a 7200 rpm - less than a year old, and at the time of purchase among the faster Mac laptops, maxed out RAM and HD-wise. Still, I find that image editing sometimes takes far longer than I'd like (especially in Lightroom), but as I'm moving around quite a lot a MacPro just isn't practical.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 02:24:44 PM »
Thanks Kirk,

I'm currently using a MBP 15" 2.5Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4GBs of RAM and a 7200 rpm - less than a year old, and at the time of purchase among the faster Mac laptops, maxed out RAM and HD-wise. Still, I find that image editing sometimes takes far longer than I'd like (especially in Lightroom), but as I'm moving around quite a lot a MacPro just isn't practical.

What is your Memory Cache set to in Photo Mechanic?  (Preferences Dialog->Caching tab)

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 12:30:03 AM »

I know it doesn't help U much but if my system slows down I prefer to hit delete more carefully (and slowly too).
Setting PM to delete into the recycle bin/Trash can partially solve your problem as a sort of delete undo.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com