Author Topic: Previews behaving strange  (Read 6667 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Previews behaving strange
« on: May 22, 2009, 12:53:03 PM »
I experienced today that some of the previews don't load in the contact sheet and some load in teribly low resolution. Even when zooming in it keeps enlarging this low res pixel maze. Neither refresh, nor closing and reopening the contact sheet helps this issue.
The files vied are CR2 files and open up flawlessly in IrfanView allowing me to suppose the problem is not with the image files.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Previews behaving strange
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 02:08:44 PM »
I experienced today that some of the previews don't load in the contact sheet and some load in teribly low resolution. Even when zooming in it keeps enlarging this low res pixel maze. Neither refresh, nor closing and reopening the contact sheet helps this issue.
The files vied are CR2 files and open up flawlessly in IrfanView allowing me to suppose the problem is not with the image files.

What OS and what version of PM are you running?

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 02:20:18 PM »
Sorry I missed to tell that. This keeps happening on my XP netbook with PM beta 7.

It may be some memory or cache thing as I never put this much images (aprox 1-2000 in one contact sheet) onto it and never had experienced anything similar.

Cross checking the images on the Mac is in progress but the copy takes some time...
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 02:22:20 PM »
I also tired to quit and restart PM but situation is the same: some image previews display fine but most of them in very low res.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 02:39:46 PM »
I also tired to quit and restart PM but situation is the same: some image previews display fine but most of them in very low res.

The photos that don't fully load, do they have red titles for their filenames?

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 03:01:01 PM »

The photos that don't fully load, do they have red titles for their filenames?

-Kirk

No red titles, nothing unusual except the previews dont load with a useful quality. It seems PM tries to use the thumbnail images for the preview and even for the zoomed in images as well.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 01:12:16 AM »
I tried to extract the embedded images from the CR2 files and open them in a new contact sheet with the same PM and machine I experience preview problems. With the JPGs there are filenames in red and their preview (and thumbnail) doesn't appear at all.
What does it mean and how it relates to the initial problem of not showing RAW previews in normal res?

It still appears that RAW files show a low res thumb and preview but no red filename. Only with the JPGs exported from RAW.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 01:27:45 AM »
At first glance beta 8 seems to lack the above issue, will report if I find it again.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 10:04:29 AM »
I'm mistaken. It still keeps happening on my Win netbook. Some thumbnails dont show nor preview loads. Some thumbs and previews do load correctly some previews load a teribly low res....maybe the thumbnail??
I tried restarting PM beta8, reloading the contact sheet, tried with PM 4.5.4 all behave the same.
What can cause this?
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 11:16:58 AM »
I'm mistaken. It still keeps happening on my Win netbook. Some thumbnails dont show nor preview loads. Some thumbs and previews do load correctly some previews load a teribly low res....maybe the thumbnail??
I tried restarting PM beta8, reloading the contact sheet, tried with PM 4.5.4 all behave the same.
What can cause this?

I don't know.  As far as I know this issue is unique to your system.  What happens if you move all of the photos that render correctly into a different folder and then browse the remaining images?  Do they render then?  What happens if you take a single image that won't render and move it to a folder by itself and then browse that folder?  Does it render then?

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 04:28:09 AM »
What can cause this?

I don't know.  As far as I know this issue is unique to your system.  What happens if you move all of the photos that render correctly into a different folder and then browse the remaining images?  Do they render then?  What happens if you take a single image that won't render and move it to a folder by itself and then browse that folder?  Does it render then?

-Kirk

I'll try it. If I quit and restart PM it renders images it previously did not. For me it seems more like a memory like issue. Can previews be too much for PM? Can any buffer or etc be filled of previews?
Quit and restart seems to solve the issue but slows down business dealing images.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 06:35:42 AM »
What can cause this?

-Kirk

I'll try it. If I quit and restart PM it renders images it previously did not. For me it seems more like a memory like issue. Can previews be too much for PM? Can any buffer or etc be filled of previews?
Quit and restart seems to solve the issue but slows down business dealing images.

What are your Caching settings (Preferences->Caching tab)?

-Kirk