Author Topic: Navigator window scrolling problem  (Read 7983 times)

Offline joesobel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Navigator window scrolling problem
« on: July 24, 2006, 05:51:56 PM »
I'm having a problem with the Navigator window in version 4.4.3.

When scrolling the window to access a different folder, Navigator has a mind of its own and jumps back to the original location before I can select a new folder to view.  As I scroll up or down the in the window it keeps moving back as I drag and release the slider.  Any ideas on the cause and a fix??

I also have an unrelated question.  Is it possible to preview pictures side by side from two different folders at the same time?

Thanks,
Joe Sobel

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Navigator window scrolling problem
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 05:58:16 PM »
Joe,

I'm having a problem with the Navigator window in version 4.4.3.

When scrolling the window to access a different folder, Navigator has a mind of its own and jumps back to the original location before I can select a new folder to view.  As I scroll up or down the in the window it keeps moving back as I drag and release the slider.  Any ideas on the cause and a fix??

No, but I'll talk to the engineer who works on the Navigator on the Windows version.  Does the Favorites do the same thing to you?

Quote from: joesobel
I also have an unrelated question.  Is it possible to preview pictures side by side from two different folders at the same time?

Yes.  You just open the first folder.  Then when you open the second folder, instead of double-clicking it, right-click on it and choose "Open in current Contact Sheet" from the Photo Mechanic sub-menu.

Now you will have both folders open at once.  You can use the Preview window to view the first image of the pair that you're interested in, and then put the Preview window into one of the two-up modes (type H or V to do this quickly...)  Then click on the second image in the thumbnail gallery at the bottom of the Preview window.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline joesobel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 06:48:12 PM »
Kirk, thanks for the quick reply.  I actually haven't set up any favorites yet, but I'll set some up and see if it behaves the same way.

Thanks for the info on using the the preview window as well.

Joe

Offline joesobel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 06:51:59 PM »
Kirk, I set up some favorites and found that I have the same problem there as well.

Offline joesobel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 01:30:28 PM »
Kirk,

I installed the latest version of PM (4.4.3.1) over my earlier version to see if that would get rid of the problem, but I still had the problem.  I then uninstalled PM with Add/Remove programs and installed 4.4.3.1 again and still had the problem.  So I uninstalled PM with the Remove Photo Mechanic app and installed it again.  I still have the same problem with both the favorites and navigation windows.  In the favorites window both the vertical and horizontal scroll bars dissappear and reappear constantly.

Please let me know if the engineer comes up with any fixes.

Thanks,
Joe

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 01:35:07 PM »
Joe,

I installed the latest version of PM (4.4.3.1) over my earlier version to see if that would get rid of the problem, but I still had the problem.  I then uninstalled PM with Add/Remove programs and installed 4.4.3.1 again and still had the problem.  So I uninstalled PM with the Remove Photo Mechanic app and installed it again.  I still have the same problem with both the favorites and navigation windows.  In the favorites window both the vertical and horizontal scroll bars dissappear and reappear constantly.

Please let me know if the engineer comes up with any fixes.

She will be responding to this thread as soon as she can.

-Kirk

Offline kbell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 05:20:14 PM »

Joe,

I cannot reproduce the behavior you are describing and I was wondering if you could think of any other information that might help me to see the problem.

Is this a problem that showed up the current version you are running that wasn't there before?

Can you try clicking on a folder in the Navigator/Favorites before you scroll, and does this change the behavior?

If you scroll Navigator/Favorites by clicking on a folder and then pressing the down arrow or PgDn, does it scroll correctly?

- Kathy
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 06:19:06 PM by kbell »

Offline joesobel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 07:58:24 PM »
Hi Kathy,

I downloaded a demo version (4.4.2) of Photo Mechanic in March and used it briefly before getting involved in some other projects.  I then purchased Photo Mechanic toward the end of May.  I don’t recall if I downloaded a newer version at that time or if I just activated the demo version with the purchase code.  I didn’t notice this problem until recently in 4.4.2 and now in 4.4.3.1. 

If I click on a folder in the Navigator window and move down with the down arrow key, the highlight moves down to select the next folder.  If I double click on a folder in the Navigator window, move with the scroll keys or page keys and then double click another folder, contact sheets open for both.  The blue highlight on the last folder I opened then disappears after a few seconds and I wasn’t sure if this is normal behavior. After moving down a couple of folders with the scroll or page keys in the Navigator window, the Favorites window acts strangely.  The vertical and horizontal scroll bars disappear and then reappear.  This continues all the time, even when I’m not doing anything in either window.

If I move up or down in the Navigator window with the scroll bar while no folders are selected, the folders jump after a second or so, usually before I can click on a folder.  This also happens after I’ve selected a folder in the Navigator window and then try to use the scroll bar to move to another folder.

If I click in the Favorites window and move down with the down arrow key, the highlight moves down, but then both scroll bars disappear and the cursor jumps up to another folder one level up from the highlighted folder, but not the highlighted folder’s parent.  Sometimes, the highlight disappears without selecting another folder.  When I select a Favorites folder and don’t move with any key or scroll bar, the highlight on that folder disappears when the Favorites scroll bars disappear and reappear as if the window is being rewritten.

The scroll bars in the Favorites window disappear and reappear every one or two seconds even when no folder is selected there.  If I select a folder in the Navigator window and hit the scroll arrows repeatedly, the highlight moves up, or down, a folder at a time, but stalls when the Favorites scroll bars disappear and then the highlight in the Navigator window resumes it’s travel up, or down, the window.

Please let me know if I can give you any additional information.  You can reach me at 480-899-0708 if you need to speak with me.

Thanks,
Joe

Offline kbell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 06:28:20 PM »
If I move up or down in the Navigator window with the scroll bar while no folders are selected, the folders jump after a second or so, usually before I can click on a folder.  This also happens after I’ve selected a folder in the Navigator window and then try to use the scroll bar to move to another folder.

If I click in the Favorites window and move down with the down arrow key, the highlight moves down, but then both scroll bars disappear and the cursor jumps up to another folder one level up from the highlighted folder, but not the highlighted folder’s parent.  Sometimes, the highlight disappears without selecting another folder.  When I select a Favorites folder and don’t move with any key or scroll bar, the highlight on that folder disappears when the Favorites scroll bars disappear and reappear as if the window is being rewritten.

Joe,

This sounds like it is related to a problem that may have been fixed.

I'd like you to uninstall your current version and do a "clean" install of the latest version and then let me know if you still see this behavior.

- Kathy