Author Topic: No "Enable RAW Rendering" for Windows?  (Read 5506 times)

Offline Andreas Lettow

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • camargue photos
No "Enable RAW Rendering" for Windows?
« on: May 25, 2009, 12:18:23 AM »
I'm testing PM and I find it's very useful, but could it be possible, that the Option "Enable RAW Rendering" is only available for Mac OS? :( If that's fact: are you trying to implement this functionallity for Windows?

Best regards
A.Lettow
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 12:52:42 AM by Andreas Lettow »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: No "Enable RAW Rendering" for Windows?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 06:34:05 AM »
I'm testing PM and I find it's very useful, but could it be possible, that the Option "Enable RAW Rendering" is only available for Mac OS? :( If that's fact: are you trying to implement this functionallity for Windows?

It is only available on Mac OS X 10.4.11 and higher.  We are not implementing RAW rendering at this time for Windows.

-Kirk

Offline Andreas Lettow

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • camargue photos
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 05:21:41 AM »

It is only available on Mac OS X 10.4.11 and higher.  We are not implementing RAW rendering at this time for Windows.

-Kirk

That is unfortunate, but thanks for the rapid answer.

Andreas

Offline rjp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 07:23:59 PM »

-Kirk

Andreas

I'm pretty sure the RAW rendering on mac is done by the OS, not Photo Mechanic. PM just passes the RAW file to Apple's already built-in RAW conversion utilities. This is the same utility that Apple uses for iPhoto, Aperture and other applications.

I don't think Microsoft Windows has such a utility yet. Do they?  If they add one, I'd bet PM would then offer the RAW conversion option for Windows as well.

That said, I never use this option on my mac because I prefer Nikon's RAW conversion (NX2) over Apple's.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 09:01:19 PM »

-Kirk

Andreas

I'm pretty sure the RAW rendering on mac is done by the OS, not Photo Mechanic. PM just passes the RAW file to Apple's already built-in RAW conversion utilities. This is the same utility that Apple uses for iPhoto, Aperture and other applications.

I don't think Microsoft Windows has such a utility yet. Do they?  If they add one, I'd bet PM would then offer the RAW conversion option for Windows as well.

That said, I never use this option on my mac because I prefer Nikon's RAW conversion (NX2) over Apple's.

Microsoft has something they call the Windows Imaging Component (or WIC for short).  We investigated using it but it is particularly slow and didn't seem all that worthwhile.  We may decide to allow the use of WIC (if installed since it is definitely not there by default) in the future as it matures.

-Kirk

Offline Andreas Lettow

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • camargue photos
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 12:29:45 PM »
Thanks, so I will wait for that. :)

Andreas

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 04:42:14 PM »
Thanks, so I will wait for that. :)

Andreas

It is still an option (a really good one) to switch over to Mac.
,-)))
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com