Author Topic: The text is not to be read in Fotostation  (Read 4323 times)

Offline terjegus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
The text is not to be read in Fotostation
« on: May 28, 2009, 02:38:35 PM »
I am testing the trialversion of PM and discovered that text added in PM can not be read in Fotostation Pro. The text made in Fotostation however ended up in the correct colums. Is this a limitation of the demoversion or will it be the same in a registred version. If so it will be a problem since most of the magazines I work for us Fotostation. Otherwise PM seems to be a very nice solution.
Terje Gustavsen

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: The text is not to be read in Fotostation
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 02:59:37 PM »
Terje,

I am testing the trialversion of PM and discovered that text added in PM can not be read in Fotostation Pro. The text made in Fotostation however ended up in the correct colums. Is this a limitation of the demoversion or will it be the same in a registred version. If so it will be a problem since most of the magazines I work for us Fotostation. Otherwise PM seems to be a very nice solution.

Photo Mechanic trial versions are not limited in any way.  That said there may be some settings in Photo Mechanic that could be changed to make it work better with Fotostation.  Does Fotostation work with IPTC and XMP metadata?

-Kirk

Offline terjegus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 03:14:52 PM »
Terje,

Photo Mechanic trial versions are not limited in any way.  That said there may be some settings in Photo Mechanic that could be changed to make it work better with Fotostation.  Does Fotostation work with IPTC and XMP metadata?

-Kirk

The newest version of Fotostation works with IPTC and XMP, but older versions which I have and probably most of the magazines works only with IPTC
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 03:17:20 PM by terjegus »

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 03:52:42 PM »
I encounter a similar problem with Fotostation: IPTC fields that have UMLAUT like ö, ä, ü or other German characters which I add in PM are not visile in Fotostation. Anyone know which IPTC encoding has to be set in PM that can be interpreted by Fotostation correctly? Right now I use Mac Roman as default.
Mac OS 10.5.7, PM 4.6 MacBookPro

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 04:18:38 PM »
Terje,

Photo Mechanic trial versions are not limited in any way.  That said there may be some settings in Photo Mechanic that could be changed to make it work better with Fotostation.  Does Fotostation work with IPTC and XMP metadata?

The newest version of Fotostation works with IPTC and XMP, but older versions which I have and probably most of the magazines works only with IPTC

You can set PM to only write out IPTC (and not write out XMP) from the IPTC/XMP tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 04:20:05 PM »
I encounter a similar problem with Fotostation: IPTC fields that have UMLAUT like ö, ä, ü or other German characters which I add in PM are not visile in Fotostation. Anyone know which IPTC encoding has to be set in PM that can be interpreted by Fotostation correctly? Right now I use Mac Roman as default.
Mac OS 10.5.7, PM 4.6 MacBookPro

I'd suggest writing out a caption in Fotostation with accented characters and then view them on PM on your Mac and change the encoding in PM until all of the characters are correct.  Then use that as your encoding.

-Kirk

Offline terjegus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 02:59:16 AM »
Terje,

You can set PM to only write out IPTC (and not write out XMP) from the IPTC/XMP tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog.

-Kirk

Thank you. Now it works. And with Latin10 Scandinavian or Latin1 Western Europe the norwegian letters æ,ø,å turns out right - both ways. I suppose the german letters also will do that with western europe instead of Mac Roman.
Terje
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 03:00:50 AM by terjegus »