Author Topic: converting cr2 file to jpg  (Read 2427 times)

Offline timclayton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
converting cr2 file to jpg
« on: May 31, 2009, 03:59:13 AM »
HELP!!!...I upgrade to 4.6.1 earlier in the week and since then converting CR2 files to JPG has reduced the file size from 24meg to 5.7meg even though 'No scaling' is ticked. What am I doing wrong?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: converting cr2 file to jpg
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 07:13:17 AM »
Tim,

HELP!!!...I upgrade to 4.6.1 earlier in the week and since then converting CR2 files to JPG has reduced the file size from 24meg to 5.7meg even though 'No scaling' is ticked. What am I doing wrong?

Are you telling PM to "Use the embedded preview" on the "When using RAW:" popup menu?

-Kirk

Offline timclayton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 01:28:20 AM »
Hi Kirk, I am telling PM to 'use embedded preview' is this wrong? The strange thing is files from the Canon 5d MK2 are converting full size while the files from the canon 1d mkII are not.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 05:03:21 AM »
Could it be that images from the Canon 1D mkII do not have full size previews embedded?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 06:37:19 AM »
Tim,

Hi Kirk, I am telling PM to 'use embedded preview' is this wrong? The strange thing is files from the Canon 5d MK2 are converting full size while the files from the canon 1d mkII are not.

It isn't right or wrong depending on your situation.  The 1D Mark II does not embed a full size preview in its CR2 images.  So for that camera you'll have to "Render RAW if possible".  But the rendering you'll get won't be the same as what the embedded preview would look like since the RAW processing being used (Apple's ImageIO which is used in Aperture) isn't using the same algorithms as the camera.

What RAW processor do you usually use to render your CR2 files?

-Kirk