Author Topic: FTPing embeded JPGs  (Read 4761 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
FTPing embeded JPGs
« on: May 31, 2009, 08:38:42 AM »
I keep receiving an error message when I try to upload to FTP some JPG-s from the CR2 files:
Error: none of the selected files were able to be rendered as JPEGs.

For me it seems not quite clear in the Win XP version of PM 4.6.1 final why is the embeded JPG option grey on the bottom of the FTP dialog. I understand PM can't render from RAW, but it still should be able to upload based on the embeded from a RAW file.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: FTPing embeded JPGs
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 08:40:03 AM »
I keep receiving an error message when I try to upload to FTP some JPG-s from the CR2 files:

For me it seems not quite clear in the Win XP version of PM 4.6.1 final why is the embeded JPG option grey on the bottom of the FTP dialog. I understand PM can't render from RAW, but it still should be able to upload based on the embeded from a RAW file.

It should be disabled but set to use the embedded preview.  Is that not the case?

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 01:35:21 PM »

It should be disabled but set to use the embedded preview.  Is that not the case?

-Kirk

I don't think since PM doesn't start the upload only gives the error message.
But there must be other problem(s?) with the embeded JPG use too.

I tried to save as a workaround for the upload and the result is teribly strange:
I set a crop for the images and try to save JPGs that fit a box of 800 pixel and have a title. But images saved are all black and the cropped part fills only a quarter of the 800 pixel image size. The title is correct for the whole image but the result is far from anything expected.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 04:25:43 PM »

I tried to save as a workaround for the upload and the result is teribly strange:
I set a crop for the images and try to save JPGs that fit a box of 800 pixel and have a title. But images saved are all black and the cropped part fills only a quarter of the 800 pixel image size. The title is correct for the whole image but the result is far from anything expected.

I get no warning and it uploads a JPEG created from a 20D CR2 RAW file just fine on Windows XP with the shipping version of Photo Mechanic 4.6.1.

Can you send me a sample image so I can investigate uploading and saving?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 01:49:12 AM »

I get no warning and it uploads a JPEG created from a 20D CR2 RAW file just fine on Windows XP with the shipping version of Photo Mechanic 4.6.1.

Can you send me a sample image so I can investigate uploading and saving?

Thanks,

-Kirk

I uploaded for you to the FTP in EmbedJPGuploadFailure.zip some examples of the troubbled output files and an original CR2 used. Output filenames are more complex but contain the original filename in their last part.

As you will see the output files are all the given (fit to 800 box) size but only a portion of them is containing the image crop. Because there are some correct ones (image fills the whole resolution and no black surrounding) among the output files I presume use of crop setting must be gone wrong as I had some files with no crop settings. It appears to me that exactly those files did output correctly which ones had no crop set.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 07:24:56 PM »
Kirk seems to have found a solution to the FTP part and the Save As error seems to be solved in PM 4.6.1 just I had to completely uninstall 4.6.0 and reinstall 4.6.1 instead of over installing the latest beta I used. So both issues seem to be solved by now.
Allways shooting RAW.