Author Topic: Selective Ingest?  (Read 5573 times)

Offline csgaraglino

• View Profile
    • Widow Creek
Selective Ingest?
« on: June 04, 2009, 09:46:38 PM »
Where is it?
I have read posts as far back as 2006 stating that Selective Ingest is on its way, but to-date it is still not available?

Does anyone have a time frame for this?

I can shoot between 5-10 locations a day;
Different directories are too cumbersome.
Multiple cards are expensive.

I need the ability to ingest only selected file from a card at a time!
It seems to me that this seemingly simple addition is one that most ever one would use?
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
www.WidowCreek.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Selective Ingest?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 10:10:23 PM »
Chris,

Where is it?
I have read posts as far back as 2006 stating that Selective Ingest is on its way, but to-date it is still not available?

Does anyone have a time frame for this?

I can shoot between 5-10 locations a day;
Different directories are too cumbersome.
Multiple cards are expensive.

I need the ability to ingest only selected file from a card at a time!
It seems to me that this seemingly simple addition is one that most ever one would use?

It is a feature that I have personally wanted for some time now.  But each release has a number of features scheduled that don't make the cut.  "Ingest from Selection" is one of the features that has been cut a couple of times.

When will it be implemented?  I don't know.  The engineer who writes the Ingest feature is currently tasked with developing our new cataloging solution.

Since many people shoot several locations a day and have never asked for this feature, perhaps if you tell me what you want the final resulting directory structure to be then I may be able to offer some advice on how to achieve your desired result.

-Kirk

Offline csgaraglino

• View Profile
    • Widow Creek
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 10:34:28 PM »
It is not the final directory structure (so much) that I am concerned with, it is really the IPTC data on Ingest that is of most concern.
Also it seems odd that this really hasn't been asked for yet? Being able to pick a few images for ingest instead of the whole card only seems like a natural process for most folks?

Think about the time saved if I only need 5 images form a full 2gb card? I'm exaggerating of course but you get the idea.

If I plug in a card (say an 8gb) and I hit 10 houses for a Realtor in a day...

What I need to do is:
Plug in the card to my reader
Open the card in a contact sheet
Select images from a specific location (house #1)
Edit IPTC including my basic data, keywords, location, caption, object name & category (of which variables are strongly used).
Ingest the select using the edited stationary pad, and specific directory locations (usually by location)
Erase card

Right now I am limited to ingesting the whole card at once.
or
Set a specific directory on the card (in camera - and a pain) for each location and HOPE I remember to change this from location to location.
or
Create a contact sheet of the images on the card, apply IPTC updates to the selected images (very slow to write these changes for each location) and then ingest the whole card to a temp folder and then move files to a new directory based on location. A process that eats up a lot of time.

There are even time when I might shoot 30 - 40 images but only want to ingest, say 10, and dump the rest. Right now I have to tag them, delete them from the card, and ingest the rest. Again, eats up a lot of time.
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
www.WidowCreek.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 10:53:46 PM »
Chris,

Right now I am limited to ingesting the whole card at once.
or
Set a specific directory on the card (in camera - and a pain) for each location and HOPE I remember to change this from location to location.
or
Create a contact sheet of the images on the card, apply IPTC updates to the selected images (very slow to write these changes for each location) and then ingest the whole card to a temp folder and then move files to a new directory based on location. A process that eats up a lot of time.

There are even time when I might shoot 30 - 40 images but only want to ingest, say 10, and dump the rest. Right now I have to tag them, delete them from the card, and ingest the rest. Again, eats up a lot of time.

It sounds like you could just browse the card, select the images you're interested in working with at the moment and then use the Copy Photos command on the File menu.  It will allow you to apply an IPTC Stationery Pad, rename files, and even create a directory structure all in one operation.  The only things it doesn't offer that Ingest does is (mainly) downloading to a secondary location and some options to flatten the directory structure and choose whether to download only RAW or JPEG images.  Since you're working with selected images and you'd already be browsing the card, the Copy Photos dialog should do just about everything you described.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline evycolorado

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 12:53:50 PM »
Hi Kirk.  I have been impressed with PM' forums and the swift responses.

I, too, would like Selective Ingest.  It would be wonderful to be able to copy the images to two different locations, rename and have custom IPTC for the selected images.

I am somewhat insecure about copying the selected images from file location 1 to file location 2, in case of a disk error of any kind.  I would rather copy from the original source.   Therefore, I must repeat the process twice on each group of selected images. I would appreciate a Selective Ingest and the ability to use a label, etc, to indicate which images have been ingested (an automatic flag one could set.)  I can set a label anyway, but it would be very cool to have a visual verification of which images have been ingested.

Thanks.

Offline MontyM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 07:42:45 PM »
Just adding my +1 for a selective Injest
Monty

Offline csgaraglino

• View Profile
    • Widow Creek
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 09:08:19 PM »
BTW: I have tried the Copy function is while is will let me selective copy, I can not preform some of the Ingest functions.
The main one being the ability to Copy to multiple places
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
www.WidowCreek.com