Author Topic: if you want a catalog feature - speak up here!  (Read 175822 times)

Offline chardinej

• View Profile
Re: if you want a catalog feature - speak up here!
« Reply #135 on: April 24, 2010, 07:38:06 AM »
OK now I've read all the posts in this thread I better understand why people need a catalogue feature. I particularly see the need for scaleability so that searches can be done on a virtual image collection scattered around on different media, some/all not necessarily mounted. One feature in iView I used quite a bit was the date finder which allowed a quick search of images made on a particular day, month, year, with the click of a radio button.

OK I'm sold.
John

MacBook Air i5/10.8 (Mountain Lion); PM 5 latest build

Offline andrewross

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2010, 08:24:49 PM »
Hi Kirk!

I tried to read most this thread, but it's rather long, apologize if some of these points have been covered, I'm curious to know if your new catalog feature will bring:

1: Front end: allow hosting and access from your own server for as many web users or will there be some restrictions inposed?
2: Back end: Use the present "auto ingest" to create dynamic web pages for front end?
3: Will PM be able to connect remotely to a server with the PM catalog via a login panel built in to PM? (e.g. the catalog PM acting as a remote server)

There is presently a vast gap and price issue in an affordable server DAM solution for non corporate solutions, if PM was going to bridge this gap, it will surely be an absolute winner for the masses of freelancers out there just needing a solution like this.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 10:03:27 PM by andrewross »

Offline Photo_op

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 25, 2010, 04:53:44 PM »
Looks like Phase One has jumped into the catalog business with the purchase of iView/Expression Media from Microsoft.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 08:06:48 AM by Photo_op »
MacMini, 8 Meg RAM, OS X 10.8.2, PM 5, Lightroom 4.2, Sony 580, Fuji X10

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2010, 09:22:28 PM »
Looks like Phase One has jumped into the catalog business with the purchase of iView/Expression Media from Microsoft. Not good news for Camera Bits!
Oh, I don't know. I've used iView/Expression Media since iView was independent. Microsoft's stewardship wasn't kind to the product. It is very flakey and tempermental, and suffers from Microsoft's lack of support. I think they will need to do some real clean up and relationship rebuilding before it will be a factor in the  market again. Over the past year, I've found less and less reason to use it, because it's behavior was so unpredictable.

Mick

Offline KBishop

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 26, 2010, 01:12:32 PM »
When is DAM coming?  I am looking for a solution.  I like and use PM and have been waiting to pull the trigger since I learned of your current efforts.  I am getting the the point of needing to jump in and get this done.  So when?

Kevin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #140 on: May 26, 2010, 01:37:27 PM »
Kevin,

When is DAM coming?  I am looking for a solution.  I like and use PM and have been waiting to pull the trigger since I learned of your current efforts.  I am getting the the point of needing to jump in and get this done.  So when?

We're not projecting release dates.  But we're working on it as hard as we can.

-Kirk

Offline DonShreve

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 26, 2010, 08:57:39 PM »
I'm curious if the PM cataloging feature will support & play multiple file formats such as Expression Media. -.mov, .wmv, mpegs, PDF's, Word, as well as still image formats.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #142 on: May 26, 2010, 09:42:01 PM »
I'm curious if the PM cataloging feature will support & play multiple file formats such as Expression Media. -.mov, .wmv, mpegs, PDF's, Word, as well as still image formats.

Movies, yes.  But the other formats, no not likely since they're not produced by cameras.  You'll be able to catalog and track them, but there won't be any rendering of non-image formats.

-Kirk

Offline fisherfast

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Keywording non-image files
« Reply #143 on: May 28, 2010, 06:18:44 AM »
What will it mean to be able to catalog and track non-image files?

Will the new software read and write keywords for Indesign and Illustrator documents?

Expression Media fails to do this, so I'm looking for a program that can catalog and keyword the various files that I use in graphic design.

-David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Keywording non-image files
« Reply #144 on: May 28, 2010, 06:45:52 AM »
David,

What will it mean to be able to catalog and track non-image files?

Will the new software read and write keywords for Indesign and Illustrator documents?

Expression Media fails to do this, so I'm looking for a program that can catalog and keyword the various files that I use in graphic design.

We don't have any plans to reverse-engineer non-image or movie formats.  That's just not our focus.  You'll be able to catalog any file you like, but non-image types won't be additionally mined for keywords or full-text searching.  You will be able to add your own metadata (simple sentences) to any file that will be searchable.

-Kirk

Offline adrianlambert

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 28, 2010, 08:14:50 AM »
What will the anticipated workflow be?

I'm asking from the point of view of getting the shots to the server. We almost always ingest all shots to laptop on location using PhotoMechanic or Capture One if we are tethered, then metalog in PM.

When we're back in the studio will we then connect to the server and ingest into that in a similar way to the client or is the server intended to be the first point of ingest?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #146 on: May 28, 2010, 09:37:26 AM »
What will the anticipated workflow be?

I'm asking from the point of view of getting the shots to the server. We almost always ingest all shots to laptop on location using PhotoMechanic or Capture One if we are tethered, then metalog in PM.

When we're back in the studio will we then connect to the server and ingest into that in a similar way to the client or is the server intended to be the first point of ingest?

The cataloging feature will always be a server.  The server can be local (directly on your system) or on a different system that you connect to over the internet.  If you don't always have an internet connection you can use a local server and then sync up later (that's the plan.)

-Kirk

sidewinder

« Reply #147 on: June 08, 2010, 04:42:26 PM »
Lightroom 3 is out and it looks really good. I don't want to make the switch but....

S-

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #148 on: June 08, 2010, 09:15:44 PM »
Lightroom 3 is out and it looks really good. I don't want to make the switch but....

Is there a reason to switch?  There are lots of Lightroom users that use Photo Mechanic as well.

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 09, 2010, 08:09:00 AM »

S-

Totally different programs. IMHO
Marc