Author Topic: if you want a catalog feature - speak up here!  (Read 176293 times)

Offline dcayers

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: if you want a catalog feature - speak up here!
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2009, 11:18:34 AM »
Stacking.  I have been naming images in the following manner:
{year4}-{month0}-{day0}-{timesort}-{frame}-{seqn}.nef
{year4}-{month0}-{day0}-{timesort}-{frame}-{seqn}.jpg (the imbedded jpg)
{year4}-{month0}-{day0}-{timesort}-{frame}-{seqn}-w.jpg  (for web)
{year4}-{month0}-{day0}-{timesort}-{frame}-{seqn}-p4x6.jpg (for small prints)
{year4}-{month0}-{day0}-{timesort}-{frame}-{seqn}-p.tif  ( for largeprints and "lossless" transfer to other programs)
{year4}-{month0}-{day0}-{timesort}-{frame}-{seqn}-v1.jpg (for version)
and such.

I would like the catalog to stack these on:
{year4}-{month0}-{day0} {timesort}-{frame}-{seqn}. I guess I would like to use variables to define the stacking rules.

Also, when stacked I would like to be able to open just one stack and view the contents.

Is it possible to have the images in a stack across multiple folders, drives?

Or don't I understand what stacks are?

Nikon Shooter

Offline HPL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2009, 11:21:46 AM »
No, not for Christmas.

So we will have it before Christmas 2010 ?

Peter

Offline MontyM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2009, 11:24:50 AM »
I suspect not. 
But, will we be getting an announcement or a timetable?
Monty

No, not for Christmas.

So we will have it before Christmas 2010 ?

Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2009, 02:06:02 PM »
Stacking.  I have been naming images in the following manner:
{year4}-{month0}-{day0}-{timesort}-{frame}-{seqn}.nef
{year4}-{month0}-{day0}-{timesort}-{frame}-{seqn}.jpg (the imbedded jpg)
{year4}-{month0}-{day0}-{timesort}-{frame}-{seqn}-w.jpg  (for web)
{year4}-{month0}-{day0}-{timesort}-{frame}-{seqn}-p4x6.jpg (for small prints)
{year4}-{month0}-{day0}-{timesort}-{frame}-{seqn}-p.tif  ( for largeprints and "lossless" transfer to other programs)
{year4}-{month0}-{day0}-{timesort}-{frame}-{seqn}-v1.jpg (for version)
and such.

I would like the catalog to stack these on:
{year4}-{month0}-{day0} {timesort}-{frame}-{seqn}. I guess I would like to use variables to define the stacking rules.

Also, when stacked I would like to be able to open just one stack and view the contents.

Is it possible to have the images in a stack across multiple folders, drives?

If we had a stacking facility and rules for the stacking then I don't see why the path to the files should matter.

-Kirk

Offline dcayers

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2009, 06:28:12 AM »
Of course you are right.  I just wasn't using the stuff between the ears.  Now off to shoot some big horn shep.
Nikon Shooter

Offline Yvan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
I've been hoping, then waiting for this cataloguing feature... It has become important for me as many others here. PM is a fantastic program, I want to keep it in my workflow +NX2 + CS4 + plug-ins + Zenfolio + .... I don't want to add one more software and I need cataloguing... so either it is in PM or I modify my workflow to keep the number of software at a reasonable level.

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2009, 07:02:11 AM »
I'm also eagerly awaiting a catalog feature, though I note that it has been in the works for over two years.  Hope it's not another two years before it finally appears... ?

Mike

Offline louster1950

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2010, 02:02:14 PM »
Just checking in as I often do, don't want to miss any big catalog announcements.
I've just re-read all the posts and it looks like almost any feature I can think of has been addressed. My only questions/feature requests are the most basic and pedestrian.
Will it be possible to catalog photos stored on various external drives, DVDs and even Dot Mac accounts or other online sites? Years ago while using Portfolio, I believe you could simply drag a disc to the catalog and the app would record everything on it and give you a thumbnail with a path to disc or names  of discs along with all the usual meta data.
Oh, and I have to ask this too...  any release date soon?
Thanks,
L

sidewinder

« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2010, 01:38:29 AM »
Kirk,

I have not purchased Photo Mechanic yet. I downloaded the trial version and it integrates well with Capture NX 2 on my Mac Pro system. I would be ecstatic if I my workflow consisted primarily of these two software packages.

I can probably get by with a self-managed cataloging system using the Mac OS X file system for the short term, but it would be important to have a full catalog option available in the near term. If another two years is the time frame, I will have to look elsewhere.  One year is probably too long too. Six months would be okay and three months would be reasonable.

What would be your well educated guess for catalog availabiltity? Any idea on cost?

S-

sidewinder

« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2010, 12:47:54 AM »
Kirk,

Please respond as best as you can. Any information is better than none!

Scott

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2010, 08:39:46 PM »
Kirk,

I have not purchased Photo Mechanic yet. I downloaded the trial version and it integrates well with Capture NX 2 on my Mac Pro system. I would be ecstatic if I my workflow consisted primarily of these two software packages.

I can probably get by with a self-managed cataloging system using the Mac OS X file system for the short term, but it would be important to have a full catalog option available in the near term. If another two years is the time frame, I will have to look elsewhere.  One year is probably too long too. Six months would be okay and three months would be reasonable.

What would be your well educated guess for catalog availabiltity? Any idea on cost?

S-

I think you can buy it anyway. PM is a real time saver in any workflow I think, and it can also integrate into your Mac based workflow alowing to search your images unless it has a database feature yet.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

sidewinder

« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2010, 10:36:08 PM »
szurkebarat,

You are preaching to the choir! I bought PM earlier this morning. On the Mac, the built in search feature using Spotlight it actually quite good and should tide me over until the cataloging product is released.

Scott

Offline ralphdaily

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2010, 06:09:22 AM »
Agreed.  Catalog feature is needed but the search on a Mac is not bad.  I use it all the time.  The PM/NX2 combination is great. Ralph

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2010, 03:47:22 PM »
szurkebarat,

You are preaching to the choir! I bought PM earlier this morning.

I am more than happy to help with my insights. I think these guys at Camerabits really deserve it. They not only make a fine application for us, but keep responding the dumbest questions for everyone here in the forum and they really develop the feautres in directions their users ask for....of course different fields of photography require different features. Sports photographers would rather see the rotate crop and some built in editing or other features, others maybe need the catalog more.

On the Mac, the built in search feature using Spotlight it actually quite good and should tide me over until the cataloging product is released.

On Windows it is possible to open a folder and its subfolders (from the Navigator window) into the same contact sheet and this way search through an entire folder structure with the buil in search function in PM. It is slower and not so easy as the Mac's system search (Spotlight), but still better than to have nothing - or to use Windows search (I don't know about Win 7, I quit using MS products with XP).
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline DonShreve

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2010, 09:50:24 AM »
Yes!
I've been using M$ Expression Media, after going through the entire string of changes since it was iView. It WAS a great program until M$ bought it & it began developing glitches, crashes, and now it's common knowledge they've abandoned the product entirely. On their forum for the software, there's an extended discussion about alternatives for cataloging solutions. PM is on the list, but as it stands now, I've quit using it since I got CS3 with Bridge. It does everything PM does and it's all integrated. EXCEPT for a cataloging & archiving system.
Big void here, and PM is poised to jump in & save the day.
Hope, Hope.