Author Topic: if you want a catalog feature - speak up here!  (Read 175818 times)

Offline ramblinwreck

• View Profile
if you want a catalog feature - speak up here!
« on: June 05, 2009, 01:37:45 PM »
I know you guys are working on it - just explicitly voicing my request for the cataloging feature. Perhaps others who also would like to see the catalog feature ASAP can chime in here to let the Camera Bits guys know how much interest there is in this.

I've demo'd PM and love it, but as I currently have Aperture (but use NX2 for NEF editing) which is sufficing for my current cataloging needs, I can't justify purchasing PM in it's current state. As soon as the cataloging solution is available I plan to adopt the PM catalog solution, dropping Aperture, and going PM+NX2 only, which I expect (hope!) will simplify things for me.

Out of curiosity (I'm not sure if this has been discussed) - will the catalog feature be a separate application from the PM front-end (the product in it's current form), or will this be just one big PM application which does everything?

Offline larochep

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: if you want a catalog feature - speak up here!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 08:18:13 AM »
I am exactly in the same boat : I am really looking forward getting the PM catalog application and get rid of Aperture.

Thanks,
Pierre

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 09:37:35 AM »
I know you guys are working on it - just explicitly voicing my request for the cataloging feature. Perhaps others who also would like to see the catalog feature ASAP can chime in here to let the Camera Bits guys know how much interest there is in this.

I've demo'd PM and love it, but as I currently have Aperture (but use NX2 for NEF editing) which is sufficing for my current cataloging needs, I can't justify purchasing PM in it's current state. As soon as the cataloging solution is available I plan to adopt the PM catalog solution, dropping Aperture, and going PM+NX2 only, which I expect (hope!) will simplify things for me.

Out of curiosity (I'm not sure if this has been discussed) - will the catalog feature be a separate application from the PM front-end (the product in it's current form), or will this be just one big PM application which does everything?

It will run as a background process (or may even be on a different system or server) but the UI will be hosted in Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 12:06:15 PM »
Will it be a multi user thing letting folks use it in a newspaper storing images on a server and using PM as a client for management?
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 01:36:38 PM »
Will it be a multi user thing letting folks use it in a newspaper storing images on a server and using PM as a client for management?

That's our current plan.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 07:24:51 AM »
That's our current plan.
WOW  8)

I don't think LR and the likes have this feature planned at all. Sounds like a great feature for e.g., news agencies!
No wonder it is taking longer to develop...
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Rguzmanphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 07:49:24 PM »
Kirk, I would also like to see this feature as long as it does not effect the speed of PM in its current form, one reason I don't use Aperture or LR.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 08:34:39 PM »
Kirk, I would also like to see this feature as long as it does not effect the speed of PM in its current form, one reason I don't use Aperture or LR.

If you don't want to catalog, you won't have to.  There is no way we can make your computer do even more work without using its resources.  So if you do use the cataloging features, there should be some small speed hit depending on what you have the cataloging server doing.  So if you don't use the cataloging features whatsoever then you should get no speed decrease at all.

-Kirk

Offline louster1950

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 07:42:52 AM »
I'm happy to see more talk of PM catalog. I got hooked on Photo Mechanic during 35 years of newspaper photography and continue to find it indispensable in my post newspaper career. Will the cataloging options be of use for single users as well as photo/library staffs?
I look forward to being one of the first downloaders.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 07:44:35 AM by louster1950 »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 07:58:29 AM »
I'm happy to see more talk of PM catalog. I got hooked on Photo Mechanic during 35 years of newspaper photography and continue to find it indispensable in my post newspaper career. Will the cataloging options be of use for single users as well as photo/library staffs?

Yes.  It will be useful for both types of users.

-Kirk

Offline Davpino

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 12:26:46 AM »
Anything new about a release date? For which version do you have planned it?
Please let us know... :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 07:42:20 AM »
Anything new about a release date? For which version do you have planned it?
Please let us know... :)

I don't have a release date for it.  We haven't decided what version number we're going to introduce it in yet.

-Kirk

Offline jose

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 01:38:57 AM »
We haven't decided what version number we're going to introduce it in yet.

If it's ready, the sooner better for my anxiety...

Thanks for your work!
jose.

Offline HPL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 03:54:57 AM »
Another question:

Will it be possible, to rebuild the whole catalog ?
The reason is that I will be able to rearrange my structure of partitions and/or folders.
Sure, this is something rarely needed, but it should be possible.

Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 06:32:27 AM »
Peter,

Another question:

Will it be possible, to rebuild the whole catalog ?
The reason is that I will be able to rearrange my structure of partitions and/or folders.
Sure, this is something rarely needed, but it should be possible.

Part of its design specification is that you'd be able to move folders around (or rename them for instance) and later be able to notify the catalog that something changed and it would be able to update itself to reflect that change.  It would be a manual process and not something that the catalog would constantly checking for.

But this product, like Photo Mechanic, will always be a work in progress and features like this may not be in the initial release but would be added as time and necessity permit.

-Kirk