Author Topic: if you want a catalog feature - speak up here!  (Read 175817 times)

Offline greyhoundx

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: if you want a catalog feature - speak up here!
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2009, 07:43:26 PM »
The cataloging feature sounds great. Then I'll know how much deadwood I have out there  ;)

As for the multiple versions of the same photo, I think in many cases tracking the capture time to the second would work for many of us. Even with multiple cameras I can't shoot that fast. Now with multiple shooters (for example) a second level of distinction could use the 'base filename' of the original image, ignoring text appended beyond it - let's say to the right. This could be a rule we have to follow to make it work, nothing wrong with us using some structure in our naming of various versions of the same image, like _fb, _thumb, _small, _large, etc.

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2009, 10:23:53 AM »
Some of my top choices:

Galleries / collections. And warn if you delete files that are a part of them. Moving a file should keep it in the album.

Exhibition / book planning - apply some rough layout to selected files: A white fullscreen with nothing but thumbnails that can be scaled and moved fast and easy. Optional frames with selectable border colors. Print. Wow!

Version handling. Have a look at ID Imager, horrible in many ways, but they got versioning almost right.

No need to "manually import" like in Lightroom, just visit a folder should show it and catalog it.

Rgds
PM

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2009, 03:44:23 PM »
DON"T try to make this a "do it all" application.  NO editing (or the option not to install it).  I have NX2, Paint Shop Pro, Gimp, and access to Photoshop for that.  Keep it lean and mean as PM is now.

Offline Yvan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2009, 05:39:49 PM »
Please don't forget the capability to deal with foreign language words (ex. place names with accents), and the ability to use ontologies with semantic relationships of the kind "synonymous", "quasi-synonymous", "supertype", "subtype", etc. This way, when I look for "river", I may get photographs (if I want) with similar keywords such as "watercourse", "waterbody", "streams", "waterfalls", etc.

The web 2.0 calls for using OWL.

And keep as much as possible PM 3 principal characteristics: speed, speed and speed.

Regards,

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2009, 06:24:25 PM »
Please don't forget the capability to deal with foreign language words (ex. place names with accents), and the ability to use ontologies with semantic relationships of the kind "synonymous", "quasi-synonymous", "supertype", "subtype", etc. This way, when I look for "river", I may get photographs (if I want) with similar keywords such as "watercourse", "waterbody", "streams", "waterfalls", etc.

The web 2.0 calls for using OWL.

And keep as much as possible PM 3 principal characteristics: speed, speed and speed.

I can tell you that the first version will be only doing searches on the words you enter.  It isn't going to guess what other synonyms may match.

The database will be fully Unicode encoded.  Any characters that can be represented in the UTF-8 format will be supported.

-Kirk

Offline jose

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2009, 07:21:58 AM »
Thanks Kirk !!!
Little by little we have details about the database...
Saludos,
jose.

Offline MontyM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2009, 07:40:40 AM »
WOW... With all of the discussion on this topic, it could be the most anticipated piece of software since..... Windows 7  :)

Monty

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2009, 06:40:53 PM »
DON"T try to make this a "do it all" application.  NO editing (or the option not to install it).  I have NX2, Paint Shop Pro, Gimp, and access to Photoshop for that.  Keep it lean and mean as PM is now.

Yes, please, strongly agree with this.

Lean and mean for me = database and being able to make collections with a variety of criteria. 

Jim

Offline MattV151

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2009, 10:36:36 AM »
I switched from iView media t photo mechanic and I do miss being able to make a catalog sometimes.

Offline billy3220

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2009, 09:42:27 AM »
Okay, so I don't want to sound like a jerk or anything but.... its Q4 2009, any announcements?

Also, I wonder if there will be a way to convert catalogs? I have a light room catalog (which I believe stores the thumbs, folder locations and any new meta date changes I make) So if I switch to you guys, when it comes out, will I be able to transfer all that data, or will I have to start from scratch?

-Nick

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 10:38:13 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline MontyM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2009, 10:42:31 AM »
Okay, so I don't want to sound like a jerk or anything but.... its Q4 2009, any announcements?

-Nick

I feel your pain.  I volunteered to do a work flow presentation for our camera club (December meeting) .  I hope I at least have a beta to include in the demo....

Monty

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2009, 10:42:43 AM »
Nick,

We're working on it.  We have prototypes working in house.  Things are progressing at a good clip now.  Q4 2009 isn't over yet but I can't give you a firm announcement at this time as to pricing, release date, product name, etc.  We still expect to make an announcement revealing these details before this quarter is over.

Quote from: billy3220
Also, I wonder if there will be a way to convert catalogs? I have a light room catalog (which I believe stores the thumbs, folder locations and any new meta date changes I make) So if I switch to you guys, when it comes out, will I be able to transfer all that data, or will I have to start from scratch?

It is our plan to make transitions like these as painless as possible, however you must understand that other applications do not make it easy to transfer their data to other applications like ours so at this point I can't promise anything specifically for LR.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2009, 10:45:53 AM »
Monty,

I feel your pain.  I volunteered to do a work flow presentation for our camera club (December meeting) .  I hope I at least have a beta to include in the demo....

We won't have any betas by that time.  Beta means that an application is feature complete.  If we were to give you something to demonstrate, it would be an Alpha version instead.  Alphas are not feature complete, but do have a reasonable level of functionality.

-Kirk

Offline MontyM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2009, 01:13:31 PM »
Monty,

We won't have any betas by that time.  Beta means that an application is feature complete.  If we were to give you something to demonstrate, it would be an Alpha version instead.  Alphas are not feature complete, but do have a reasonable level of functionality.

-Kirk

Kirk,

I would be willing to demo an alpha copy.  Not being feature complete would not be an issue.  A "reasonable level" of functionality is acceptable.  Personally, I enjoy helping to work bugs out of programs. This includes beta and alpha releases. 

I don't know what your policy is for distributing alpha versions to the public.  I would be willing to sign a non-disclosure-agreement. But, the goal is to demo the software to a small group?  20 max.  I would not distribute the software

Thanks
Monty

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2009, 01:34:22 PM »
Monty,

I would be willing to demo an alpha copy.  Not being feature complete would not be an issue.  A "reasonable level" of functionality is acceptable.  Personally, I enjoy helping to work bugs out of programs. This includes beta and alpha releases. 

I don't know what your policy is for distributing alpha versions to the public.  I would be willing to sign a non-disclosure-agreement. But, the goal is to demo the software to a small group?  20 max.  I would not distribute the software

If we were to have you sign a NDA you wouldn't be able to demonstrate it to anyone.  ;)

-Kirk