Author Topic: if you want a catalog feature - speak up here!  (Read 175820 times)

Offline MontyM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: if you want a catalog feature - speak up here!
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2009, 01:39:09 PM »
Monty,

If we were to have you sign a NDA you wouldn't be able to demonstrate it to anyone.  ;)

-Kirk

Ha ha, I was wondering how I'd sign a NDA anyway???? Oh wait, I think there is a person that stops by our house everyday.  Something about snail mail   ???

Offline George Sass

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2009, 06:13:15 PM »
I have been waiting patiently for the past year after trying demos of Portfolio and Expression Media. Neither of these seemed to work well with my current workflow of PhotoMechanic and Capture NX2, so I am trying to manage things without a good cataloging program.   However, my growing portfolio and complicated requirements of keeping track of which images I've sold to various publications is becoming unmanageable.  I would gladly pay a reasonable amount for a stand-alone PM cataloging, or DAM, program.  The sooner, the better!
Sasscom

Offline Lars

• View Profile
    • DESGphoto / elementalSPORTS
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2009, 02:53:53 AM »
It would be really cool to have any kind of free text search field. What I mean is: often I need the ability to search for many files at the same time by their filenames. So it would be good to have a search feature where the user can add several filenames at the same time as the catalog will return the result.

Lars

Offline cclborneo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2009, 05:35:14 PM »
Just wanted to add my 2 cents here and say kudos to you guys for developing a catalog feature for PM.

I am a full-time photographer and have tried the demo version of PM which I liked very much (great user interface, speed, etc.).  However, I simply couldn't incorporate it into my workflow without a catalog.  That is the only reason I decided not to purchase.

Fully understood that this will be a work in progress, though I think most photographers out there don't really need something very elaborate.  As another poster said "Don't try to make this a 'do it all' application."  Most of us simply need a way to search and find images throughout our entire database and send them off to our chosen RAW converter or editor.  Other features are just icing on the cake and can be added later.

Is there a mailing list or somewhere we can sign up to be notified as soon as this version becomes available for tryout/purchase?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2009, 05:50:12 PM »
Just wanted to add my 2 cents here and say kudos to you guys for developing a catalog feature for PM.

I am a full-time photographer and have tried the demo version of PM which I liked very much (great user interface, speed, etc.).  However, I simply couldn't incorporate it into my workflow without a catalog.  That is the only reason I decided not to purchase.

Fully understood that this will be a work in progress, though I think most photographers out there don't really need something very elaborate.  As another poster said "Don't try to make this a 'do it all' application."  Most of us simply need a way to search and find images throughout our entire database and send them off to our chosen RAW converter or editor.  Other features are just icing on the cake and can be added later.

Is there a mailing list or somewhere we can sign up to be notified as soon as this version becomes available for tryout/purchase?

No, not yet.  Just check into the forums from time-to-time.

-Kirk

Offline Bjorn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2009, 11:43:17 PM »
Would be nice to have a pick- and reject-status for images like Lightroom 2 and Bibble 5 has.
And filterview based on status.

I have played with this feature in Lightroom and find it very useful and logical for me.

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2009, 04:52:21 AM »
It needs to integrate with a Lightroom workflow.
Currently I ingest and make picks with PM, process in lightroom.
I would use PM to Catalog after the fact.
As an aside, how can I update the previews of the RAW files so they show the changes I make in lightroom?
Marc
Marc

Offline MontyM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2009, 05:27:06 AM »

As an aside, how can I update the previews of the RAW files so they show the changes I make in lightroom?
Marc

Lightroom does NOT see changes made to raw files made in other programs.  I use Capture NX2 to adjust my photos, previews of these photos when viewed in Lightroom show the original photo.

That is the beauty of PM,  it shows all changes and QUICKLY displays them.

Monty

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2009, 06:50:28 AM »
Marc,

It's not possible.  Adobe does not ever update/change proprietary RAW files in any of their applications.  They created the DNG file format for that purpose (and others) and various Adobe applications will update the preview contained in DNG files.  So you could use DNG as your RAW file format.

-Kirk

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2009, 07:48:03 AM »
It is easy to have lightroom see changes.  You have to write the changes to a sidecar and then in lightroom have Lightroom "Read metadata from file" if you want the changes made elsewhere inside of lightroom, or "Save metadata to file (cmd-S)" if work done in lightroom is to be seen in other programs.  Not perfect ... but not bad.

Offline MontyM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2009, 02:11:28 PM »
All I want for Christmas is a Cat-a-log feature
a Cat-a-log feature
a Cat-a-log feature....

a Cat-a-log feature
a Cat-a-log feature....

Sung to the tune of "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth"

I've been good Santa, really I have

Any chance???
Monty

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2009, 03:01:45 PM »
Monty,

a Cat-a-log feature
a Cat-a-log feature....

a Cat-a-log feature
a Cat-a-log feature....

Any chance???

No, not for Christmas.

-Kirk

Offline ralphdaily

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2009, 03:47:34 PM »
MontyM, you get an "A" for effort!

a Cat-a-log feature
a Cat-a-log feature....

a Cat-a-log feature
a Cat-a-log feature....

Any chance???
Monty

Offline MontyM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2009, 06:01:04 PM »
Nuts, another lump of coal for Christmas  :(

Monty,

a Cat-a-log feature
a Cat-a-log feature....

a Cat-a-log feature
a Cat-a-log feature....

Any chance???

No, not for Christmas.

-Kirk

Offline FG

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2009, 10:08:23 AM »
 ::) A cataloging feature would be the dealmaker for group. PM is right now an incredibly good program,with a cataloging feature made to the standards that these guys have always maintained, it would be an excellent program.

We don't really use PM in our everyday workflow, nor do we use with clients - which I would love to because it has the best preview of any program I have used as well as speed.

The thought of a cataloging feature added to the program's already brilliant performance, blinds me to the question of what it would do to the pricing once such a feature is added, but I will leave that for another discussion and continue to "drool" at the prospects

FG