Author Topic: if you want a catalog feature - speak up here!  (Read 175815 times)

sidewinder

Re: if you want a catalog feature - speak up here!
« Reply #150 on: June 09, 2010, 09:53:38 AM »
Anyone look at the topic of this thread? What does Lightroom do that PM does not? Cataloging! Lightroom may not ingest as well as PM but it does a decent job.

Scott

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 09, 2010, 10:34:11 AM »
Well, in the time it takes in Lightroom to import the card, render previews and select photos waiting at each for 100% preview, I have already sent my selects by FTP captioned and with code replacement even with correct player names (example from a football match). Culling photos in PM is a breeze, and it is the undisputed king of the hill in that. Catalogue feature would be a nice addition, and IMO good to have to keep and expand PM's (albeit small and professional) marketplace. But for culling through my cards, I will always take PM :)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #152 on: June 27, 2010, 01:24:10 AM »
Anyone look at the topic of this thread? What does Lightroom do that PM does not? Cataloging! Lightroom may not ingest as well as PM but it does a decent job.

Scott

Photo editing is the main thing LR does and PM does not. LR is a do all steps in it application that offers everything to do with one software from start to end. It ingests (rather they call it import), captions, catalogues, has search and keywording, and it has the RAW editor they call develop.

PM does the small part, but much quicker then LR. You can quikly browse through the files select the ones you want to use or edit, have the option to edit them in external editor(s) and then send them to almost anywhere.

On my part I don't really use a catalogue application (I would love to have it in PM), I use CFfinder/CDwinder to find files by filename and keep track of the files on different drives. It's a bit basic, but metts my needs. The rest of it to be developed will wait for PM catalogue.

I only use LR for editing images. I import only those I want to edit. All other management is done in PM. This works for me fine and fast.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline dd-b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 28, 2010, 07:31:50 PM »
I emphatically do NOT want a catalog feature.  I've already got a cataloging application, which I used before I got PM, and am quite likely to continue using after I'm done using PM.  In fact, I've got two -- Bibble 5 seems to have added cataloging, though I've never tried to use it.

PM is a perfect example of the application that does one thing well -- display images quickly and tag them in various ways. 

I HATE "all-in-one" solutions -- they're nearly always mediocre in all categories, and expensive.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #154 on: July 04, 2010, 03:49:45 AM »
dd-b,

You don't need to worry about PM becoming (yet another) useless all-in-one program. As Kirk has mentioned a few times already, the cataloguing functionality will be a separate and optional thing. If you don't want to use it, you don't have to and no existing functionality will be hampered by it either  :)

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 17, 2010, 09:36:40 AM »
The cataloging feature will always be a server.  The server can be local (directly on your system) or on a different system that you connect to over the internet.  If you don't always have an internet connection you can use a local server and then sync up later (that's the plan.)

Does part of your testing include running the catalog server on a Windows Home Server?  I don't know if there are additional features you could offer by running on a WHS, but it would be great if you at least made sure this was a supported platform.

Also, are you building something that would allow synchronization and replication.  For example, if I ingest on my laptop will I be able to add these to a catalog running on my laptop, and then when I get home synch or replicate these new pictures and data to the main server running on my home machine?

Thanks,
Danny

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #156 on: August 17, 2010, 11:17:53 AM »
Danny,

The cataloging feature will always be a server.  The server can be local (directly on your system) or on a different system that you connect to over the internet.  If you don't always have an internet connection you can use a local server and then sync up later (that's the plan.)

Does part of your testing include running the catalog server on a Windows Home Server?  I don't know if there are additional features you could offer by running on a WHS, but it would be great if you at least made sure this was a supported platform.

From my looking at the Microsoft site dedicated to their Windows Home Server, it doesn't appear that it supports running applications on it, though I can't be sure without obtaining a manual from one.  We'd need to be able to install an application and have it always running.

Quote from: TiggerGTO
Also, are you building something that would allow synchronization and replication.  For example, if I ingest on my laptop will I be able to add these to a catalog running on my laptop, and then when I get home synch or replicate these new pictures and data to the main server running on my home machine?

Synchronization, yes.

-Kirk

sidewinder

« Reply #157 on: September 05, 2010, 06:09:40 PM »
Well, here we are into September 2010 and no news on the cataloging product. Zip....nada.....

I am extremely disappointed as are many people I know that are looking for photo management software. Looking at the history of this thread, we were told there would be some kind of announcement in the 4th quarter of 2009. That story changed. Here we are a few weeks a way from the fourth quarter of 2010 and there is no reason to hope for the cataloging product any time soon.

Too bad.....

S-

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 05, 2010, 07:54:46 PM »
Well, here we are into September 2010 and no news on the cataloging product. Zip....nada.....

I am extremely disappointed as are many people I know that are looking for photo management software. Looking at the history of this thread, we were told there would be some kind of announcement in the 4th quarter of 2009. That story changed. Here we are a few weeks a way from the fourth quarter of 2010 and there is no reason to hope for the cataloging product any time soon.

Too bad.....

S-

This must be exactly why CameraBits did not want to publish nor any details of their product neither any dates they plan to introduce it. This entire topic here is merely based on a wish to hear anything.

I am sure they work on it hard and they are making great efforts to publish it as soon as it can be published.

Kirk's most common answer to questions has been they are working on it, but if someone needs a catalog immediately they cannot offer it yet. I think it is a totally coorrect behavior. Far better than selling a non working application allways in need to be fixed and yet not working - like some large companies do.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline holthaus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 20, 2010, 06:22:34 AM »
Anyting good on this front yet?

Just wondering as I am going back through a few years worth of images just looking at images...thinking it would be great if the
DB finally got introduced to Photo Mechanic.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #160 on: November 23, 2010, 02:03:37 PM »
Anyting good on this front yet?

Just wondering as I am going back through a few years worth of images just looking at images...thinking it would be great if the
DB finally got introduced to Photo Mechanic.

We're working very hard on it right now.  It is our top priority.  We're giving demonstrations of some of the features to one of our larger customers tomorrow.  Still more work to be done though.

And before anyone asks, I don't have a release date for you.

-Kirk

Offline samuel.castro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 01, 2010, 02:45:27 PM »
Like everyone else, I am greatly anticipating this feature!

One major feature in DAM software I have been seeking (to deploy internally at our university) is a searchable web-interface for our internal clients of our entire online catalog stored on redundant servers. I believe a previous person asked about:

> 1: Front end: allow hosting and access from your own server for as many web users or will there be some restrictions inposed?
> 2: Back end: Use the present "auto ingest" to create dynamic web pages for front end?

Kirk, would you be able to comment on whether this might be a function when the new feature is released?

(Crossing all of my fingers and toes hoping this will be one of them!)

PS - Thank you so much for all of the hard work Camera Bits does on PM. It is a great and indispensable piece of software.

Sam

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 20, 2011, 02:15:39 PM »
We're working very hard on it right now.  It is our top priority.  We're giving demonstrations of some of the features to one of our larger customers tomorrow.  Still more work to be done though.

-Kirk

Kirk,

Any news on this? A date or at least a timeframe?

Hope your customer liked what they saw and it's getting closer to an official release.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #163 on: February 20, 2011, 02:50:50 PM »
We're working very hard on it right now.  It is our top priority.  We're giving demonstrations of some of the features to one of our larger customers tomorrow.  Still more work to be done though.

Hope your customer liked what they saw and it's getting closer to an official release.

They're ecstatic and are going to use it for one of their big events.

I don't have a release date for you at this time.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 20, 2011, 07:31:40 PM »

They're ecstatic and are going to use it for one of their big events.

I don't have a release date for you at this time.

-Kirk

Is there a chance the big event of the unnamed customer will set the release date? Or there is no connection at all?
Allways shooting RAW.