Author Topic: Rotate a Crop  (Read 25730 times)

Offline powerpixx

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Rotate a Crop
« on: June 07, 2009, 05:35:37 AM »
Hi!

I am working with PM and I could not imagine doing my day-to-day work without it.

The only feature I am missing is that you could rotate a crop if you need to get an even horizon.

I know from a lot of photographers that this feature would generate a lot of business to you.

Yours
Wolfgang Jannach

http://www.powerpixx.com

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Rotate a Crop
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 11:05:42 AM »
I do understand your request for this function. But PM is not an image editor, and hence perhaps not the right place for things like this.

I mean, the problem is, where to stop with adding these types of editing functions?

By the way, the best implementation of straightening horizons etc. is perhaps the one found in Nikon's Capture NX. You simply draw a line that should be straight in the image (e.g., alongside a window sill, doorpost, horizon, etc.) and it will take care of the straightening immediately, optionally cropping the areas without image data.
Much easier than the way it is done in Photoshop (where you first have to measure the angle), and Lightroom/ACR (where the image isn't rotated, only the crop area). Plus, the NX version works both with horizontal and vertical lines!

Cheers.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 12:24:17 PM »
I do understand your request for this function. But PM is not an image editor, and hence perhaps not the right place for things like this.

This is a point, but if the crop feature exists it isn't far from allowing the rotation of it. If one excepts your opinion then  cropping an image is allready an editing option itself, that maybe shouldn't be in PM at all.

I mean, the problem is, where to stop with adding these types of editing functions?

By my opinion (and as I understood it is Camerabits' as well) it is to stop where new features wouldn't serve its users' needs or would cause PM to become less stable, effective and useful.

By the way, the best implementation of straightening horizons etc. is perhaps the one found in Nikon's Capture NX. You simply draw a line that should be straight in the image (e.g., alongside a window sill, doorpost, horizon, etc.) and it will take care of the straightening immediately, optionally cropping the areas without image data.
Much easier than the way it is done in Photoshop (where you first have to measure the angle), and Lightroom/ACR (where the image isn't rotated, only the crop area). Plus, the NX version works both with horizontal and vertical lines!

Actually in PS you have more ways of rotating your crop/image, and it is definietly not LR where the image is not rotated. As I remember the aligning tool can be found in LR as well but I don't like it in LR neither Phase One progs. For my taste LR way is much easyer, that is similar the Apple Aperture way.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 03:26:57 AM »
In fast action it is not always possible to shoot with the horizon leveled. For shooting at the sideline of a soccer/football game and matching editorial deadlines a rotating a crop feature would be very useful and could speed up the workflow extremely. Then PM would be all I need: Ingest>Select>Crop/Croprotate>FTP photo as (with "apply crop" and "sharpen" checked).

HM

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 10:53:49 PM »
Hi,

yes, that feature would be great, it is occasionally the only reason to open bibble ...
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio

Offline trackside

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 05:54:25 PM »
agreed - I also think this feature would help productivity.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 07:38:37 PM »
And to add arguing who say different, this is not really more of an image edit feature than the existence of crop feature in itself.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline inkaman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 11:07:29 AM »
I'm in agreement here. When editing on tightdeadline the crop/rotate feature would allow me to skip PS altogether. And when I am emailing a full or downrez'd file and just need to straighten it that would save me a few minutes each email.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 01:50:58 AM »
Ok, ok. I stand corrected  ;D

As there is a big demand for this feature, perhaps it could be added in the near future.

Cheers,
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 06:44:45 AM »
I'd like this feature too..  it would be very useful for me.
iMac 27" 5K Retina 2017 -  4.2ghz 64gb RAM 1Tb HD, OSX Mojave
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 24 core GPU, 2Tb SSD, 64gb RAM

https://www.junction10.photography/

Offline Bjorn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 03:07:44 PM »
I want this feature also.

Offline wiesiek

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 06:07:01 AM »
I also think that rotate would be VERY useful. For my applications it would simplify and speed up making large proof sets...

Wiesiek

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 02:30:58 PM »
A news photographer working in the field, for example, needs to be able to quickly sort through images, tag IPTC, and prepare them for upload/email to the photo desk. Obviously nobody gets the framing exactly right every time, and the photographer needs to be able to at least do a rough crop and perhaps straighten a horizon before sending his images. With a rotate crop function in PM, all this could be achieved in the field so much faster than if a second program was needed. Once the image hits the photo desk then the photo editing programs can take over for fine tuning of colour balance, contrast etc.

Therefore, although the crop tool is technically an image editing function, I see it as a necessary tool for the photographer in the initial stages of the workflow,  which is the primary function of PM after all. I think that's what sets the crop tool apart from most other image editing functions, which are typically needed later on in the workflow.

So yes, I too think a good rotate crop tool would be a great addition to PM.

Now if I could be greedy for a moment... I'd love to see an option to force the crop box to stay within the confines of the existing image as you rotate (snap to image borders?) allowing you to quickly straighten a horizon while keeping as much of the original image as possible.

Offline JodyGomez

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Jody Gomez Photography
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 04:21:28 PM »
I 100% agree. PM would be perfect for deadline shoots if we could rotate the crop and be able to skip PhotoShop altogether.
<A HREF="http://www.jodygomez.com/">Jody Gomez Photography</A>
<A HREF="http://prints.alltherightshots.com/">All The Right Shots</A>
<A HREF="http://jodygomez.blogspot.com/">Jody Takes Pictures</A>

Offline lemoustic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 01:09:22 AM »
Hello,

I planned to buy your software. A friend lent me his computer to test your software.

I am a professional sports photographer for information.

Indeed, I find this limitation is crippling and the reason I made that I would not buy your software because of this choice.

In addition, I work in RAW. And again, this limitation is important to me. In the workflow, there is the rotation that you lack.

Too bad, because compared to Ligthroom than I use, I find your software more widely, particularly in relation to the workflow of reporters on the ground.

Finally, you have a policy of beta tester? If yes, I'd like to make the party because I want to get involved in the development of this software which correspond to my work.

Best regard...

Eric