Author Topic: Selective/Customizable view for IPTC info window  (Read 2838 times)

Offline inkaman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Selective/Customizable view for IPTC info window
« on: August 11, 2009, 11:02:10 AM »
There are a lot of fields I don't or rarely use in the IPTC info window. If there isn't a way already that I don't know about, would it be possible for the user to customize this view?

So perhaps in the Stationary Pad view all the fields are available but in individual IPTC info window I can set it to just see the fields I want or reorganize them so important ones are closer to the top? And the ones I (almost) never use are buried down at the bottom where I have to scroll to see them?

Examples: I never use: Edit Status, Supp Cat. 1, 2 or 3, IPTC Scene, IPTC Subject Code, Intellectual Genre, IPTC Encoding, BUT I use Location Info, Copyright Info and Contact Info a bunch.

If not in the Preferences Panel perhaps in the Stationary panel you could create a way for the user to customize this view.

As if you all aren't busy enough!

Offline bazography

• View Profile
Re: Selective/Customizable view for IPTC info window
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 04:18:44 PM »
I would love to see some sort of customization for the IPTC/Stationery Pad windows as well.

As Inkaman says, it would definitely be nice at least for the individual IPTC info window as it takes a fair bit of scrolling to get through all the fields. Because you are dealing with photos one at a time in this mode you waste a great deal of time scrolling. It isn't as critical for the Stationery Pad as that is designed to work on batches of photos, so you're not going into that window for every shot. That said as I think it would be a good idea for the Stationary Pad too though, as the height just barely fits on my 15" MacBook Pro screen the way it is now. Any photog on the road with a smaller laptop will have to scroll to see the whole thing.

It would be nice if the user could rearrange the fields or customize the layout of the IPTC and Stationery Pad windows, but I'm not a programmer so I don't know if that is too difficult technically. If nothing else, maybe in preferences there could be a check box next to each field that allows you to hide the fields you never use so (hopefully) all the fields you regularly use will be in view without having to scroll.

Has some type of customization been considered for PM in the future?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 04:27:54 PM by bazography »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Selective/Customizable view for IPTC info window
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 05:15:35 PM »
I would love to see some sort of customization for the IPTC/Stationery Pad windows as well.

As Inkaman says, it would definitely be nice at least for the individual IPTC info window as it takes a fair bit of scrolling to get through all the fields. Because you are dealing with photos one at a time in this mode you waste a great deal of time scrolling. It isn't as critical for the Stationery Pad as that is designed to work on batches of photos, so you're not going into that window for every shot. That said as I think it would be a good idea for the Stationary Pad too though, as the height just barely fits on my 15" MacBook Pro screen the way it is now. Any photog on the road with a smaller laptop will have to scroll to see the whole thing.

It would be nice if the user could rearrange the fields or customize the layout of the IPTC and Stationery Pad windows, but I'm not a programmer so I don't know if that is too difficult technically. If nothing else, maybe in preferences there could be a check box next to each field that allows you to hide the fields you never use so (hopefully) all the fields you regularly use will be in view without having to scroll.

Has some type of customization been considered for PM in the future?

Yes, we hear you.  We will address this at some point.  I don't have specific time frames or version numbers at this time.

-Kirk