Author Topic: Problem when applying stationary pad to NEF+JPEG files  (Read 4180 times)

Offline scottyb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Problem when applying stationary pad to NEF+JPEG files
« on: June 08, 2009, 12:46:53 PM »
Just recently, I have had a problem when I try to apply the stationary pad to files I've shot in NEF + JPEG.

If I select all, then try to apply the stationary pad to the selected images, I get a message that says "There were errors during the apply to selected operation." Then the first image in the contact sheet turns black and says it is an Unsupported Format Variant and I can no longer view the RAW file.

I am running PM 4.6.1 on a MacBook Pro with OS X Tiger (10.4.11).

Never had this problem before. Interestingly enough, if I convert the NEFs to DNGs, the problem goes away. The stationary pad gets applied to both DNGs and JPEGs normally.

HELP?!?!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problem when applying stationary pad to NEF+JPEG files
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 02:02:55 PM »
Just recently, I have had a problem when I try to apply the stationary pad to files I've shot in NEF + JPEG.

If I select all, then try to apply the stationary pad to the selected images, I get a message that says "There were errors during the apply to selected operation." Then the first image in the contact sheet turns black and says it is an Unsupported Format Variant and I can no longer view the RAW file.

I am running PM 4.6.1 on a MacBook Pro with OS X Tiger (10.4.11).

Never had this problem before. Interestingly enough, if I convert the NEFs to DNGs, the problem goes away. The stationary pad gets applied to both DNGs and JPEGs normally.

What happens if you split the two images apart (turn off the RAW+JPEG feature from the View menu) and then apply the IPTC Stationery Pad?

Are these images straight out of the camera?  What do your IPTC/XMP preferences look like?  (Please post a JPEG screenshot using the 'Additional Options...' link when you're posting your reply.)

-Kirk

Offline scottyb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 02:39:38 PM »
When I switched to the split view, the preview images re-appeared in the contact sheet. I even re-combined them, applied the stationary pad, and it worked. Of course, I don't want to have to perform these steps each time.

Also, (while I'm at it), when I look at DNG previews and contact sheets, the processing made in ACR is reflected in what I see. However, when I process an NEF file, no changes appear -- it still looks like the original unprocessed file. Is that just an ACR/NEF incompatibility, or is there something I can do in PM?

Here's what my prefs look like. I think they actually changed when I updated from 4.6 to 4.6.1:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 02:47:30 PM by scottyb »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 03:14:03 PM »
When I switched to the split view, the preview images re-appeared in the contact sheet. I even re-combined them, applied the stationary pad, and it worked. Of course, I don't want to have to perform these steps each time.

Also, (while I'm at it), when I look at DNG previews and contact sheets, the processing made in ACR is reflected in what I see. However, when I process an NEF file, no changes appear -- it still looks like the original unprocessed file. Is that just an ACR/NEF incompatibility, or is there something I can do in PM?

Adobe's apps do not update the embedded JPEGs in the RAW files when they're adjusted.  Photo Mechanic cannot render the same way as Adobe's products so you don't see the changes.  There are no settings in PM that can be used to change this.

Quote from: scottyb
Here's what my prefs look like. I think they actually changed when I updated from 4.6 to 4.6.1:

While I don't know why you are experiencing your issue, I can definitely recommend that you no longer embed IPTC4XMP in your TIFF-based RAW files.  It causes Adobe's applications to work inconsistently.

-Kirk

Offline jjtiziou

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 08:36:27 AM »

Hey there Kirk,

I too just experienced some weird errors while trying to apply the IPTC stationery pad to a large batch of photos (2289 nef+jpeg pairs) - it made it through 1400 of them, and then generated the error. I went to the next file to see if it was corrupted, but was able to add the IPTC info to that one individually. Then I tried selecting just the rest and applying the IPTC pad, but again, errors.

This is with the latest version 4.6.1, running osX 10.5.7 on a macpro with 10gb ram

Anything I should check?

Offline jjtiziou

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 09:09:36 AM »

A followup->

I split the files into raw and jpeg, did a few more checks - it looks like I actually have a batch of corrupted files somewhere in the middle there. Both Nikon Capture and Lightroom refuse to open, citing some sort of corruption, and yet the Mac OS can still read them and preview every single pixel of them just fine, so they look great in PM4, but apparently something's wonky with the metadata...

The laptop that I originally downloaded these files with was running just 4.6... are there any known issues with 4.6.0 corrupting downloaded NEF files?

(also, as an aside, while trying to copy a raw file out to another folder for a test, I accidentally removed it from the main archive folder that it was supposed to live in. this kind of mistake is easier to make when you're flustered dealing with corrupted files, and that's why I'm still *really* not a fan of the "copy" dialog box remembering that "move" setting... )

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 10:32:39 AM »

A followup->

I split the files into raw and jpeg, did a few more checks - it looks like I actually have a batch of corrupted files somewhere in the middle there. Both Nikon Capture and Lightroom refuse to open, citing some sort of corruption, and yet the Mac OS can still read them and preview every single pixel of them just fine, so they look great in PM4, but apparently something's wonky with the metadata...

The laptop that I originally downloaded these files with was running just 4.6... are there any known issues with 4.6.0 corrupting downloaded NEF files?

No, no known corruption issues.

Quote from: jjtiziou
(also, as an aside, while trying to copy a raw file out to another folder for a test, I accidentally removed it from the main archive folder that it was supposed to live in. this kind of mistake is easier to make when you're flustered dealing with corrupted files, and that's why I'm still *really* not a fan of the "copy" dialog box remembering that "move" setting... )

I understand.  We'll probably add a checkbox in the Copy dialog next to the Move checkbox that says "Always remember Move setting".

-Kirk

Offline jjtiziou

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 02:29:39 PM »

Well, I'm not quite sure exactly where that file corruption issue came in, but I'll just say this: PM4's little duplicate download feature saved my ass this time...

I rarely use it, but on gigs like this one where I'm going through tons of cards, downloading them on the fly, and reusing them instantly, it's a pretty nice little safeguard. Looks like the NEFs on the other hard drive work fine. I have to redo my first edit, but... THANK YOU! :)

-jj