Author Topic: File names & burning dvd's  (Read 7705 times)

Offline Eric

• View Profile
File names & burning dvd's
« on: July 26, 2006, 12:50:48 PM »
Kirk,

Is this a windows thing or a PM thing? I have spent the day burning 17000 images to dvd's when I checked a dvd LATE in the session I found that I had hundreds of files that were named "7-23-2006 830AM_FIELD2_000001.J" .  Noticably the PG is missing in the extension. I copied a file back to the HD and added the PG to the extension and all was well, so I know that at least the data is there but what gives with the dropped PG?

Eric

P.S. I was able to slow my heart AFTER I know that there were no lost images :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: File names & burning dvd's
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 01:17:17 PM »
Eric,

Is this a windows thing or a PM thing? I have spent the day burning 17000 images to dvd's when I checked a dvd LATE in the session I found that I had hundreds of files that were named "7-23-2006 830AM_FIELD2_000001.J" .  Noticably the PG is missing in the extension. I copied a file back to the HD and added the PG to the extension and all was well, so I know that at least the data is there but what gives with the dropped PG?

It is a Joliet filesystem thing.  Your filenames are longer than 31 characters and are being trimmed.  If you were to drop a few digits they would burn without changes.

I'll have to put in a warning for this case.

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 01:31:35 PM »
kirk,

I knew you'd be right there with an answer 8) .. In the future I'll try to abbreviate where I can, in this case we knew that we were going to run >10000 images and that's why we made the sequence # so long. I assume that I am correct in not being worried that the data is still safe, and that all I'd have to do is append the PG should I have to work from a dvd.

Eric

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 01:39:08 PM »
Eric,

I knew you'd be right there with an answer 8) .. In the future I'll try to abbreviate where I can, in this case we knew that we were going to run >10000 images and that's why we made the sequence # so long. I assume that I am correct in not being worried that the data is still safe, and that all I'd have to do is append the PG should I have to work from a dvd.

But the problem is that you won't be able to browse the DVD.  You would have to copy the files to your hard drive and rename them just to be able to browse them.

Not very convenient.  So I should add the warning as a pre-flight operation.

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 02:05:14 PM »
Kirk,

Thats cool, I don't need to browse the dvds these are backups in the event that the 2 other hd's fail. I'll make an effort to keep the filenames >31 in the future. All I need this run for is a safety net while I'm working on a project. I only need to revert to the dvd's should the hair fall out of the cat  :o other wise these are little more than coasters. But in the future I will be more conventional :)

Eric

P.S. Does PM verify the disk or data ?? The reason that I'm using PM to burn the dvd's it that it takes half the time that nero takes, nero takes forever to verify the disk.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 02:15:01 PM by Eric »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 02:53:21 PM »
Eric,

Thats cool, I don't need to browse the dvds these are backups in the event that the 2 other hd's fail. I'll make an effort to keep the filenames >31 in the future. All I need this run for is a safety net while I'm working on a project. I only need to revert to the dvd's should the hair fall out of the cat  :o other wise these are little more than coasters. But in the future I will be more conventional :)

Eric

P.S. Does PM verify the disk or data ?? The reason that I'm using PM to burn the dvd's it that it takes half the time that nero takes, nero takes forever to verify the disk.

No, the Windows version does not do verification.

Hopefully the vendor of the disc burning API will offer the capability in the future.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 03:30:55 PM »
Eric,

I tried to reproduce this issue by creating some names like yours and burning them to a CD-R:

7-23-2006 830AM_FIELD2_000001.JPG
7-23-2006 830AM_FIELD2_000002.JPG

And the filenames came out fine.  I even tried longer filenames and they came out fine too.

Any more info?  I'm wondering how to reproduce the issue...

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 09:54:11 PM »
Kirk,

The file name as truncated is "7-23-2006FIELD3_1045AM000185.JP". I would be happy to send you a copy of the file from both the DVD and the original. If this would help let me know and I'll send it privately. As far as how I burn the dvd's, I open all of the folders from one time slot i.e. 1045 AM into one contact sheet then select all the images and burn. I can't wait until PM can open all of the sub-folders automaticly, this will be a huge time saver!

Eric