Author Topic: To be able to view IPTC in Preview window whilst editing and tagging  (Read 5320 times)

Offline Lenscap67

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi
I always edit my images in the preview window and would like to be able to see the caption while I am tagging/untagging.
At present I can only see the info, Is it possible to replace/toggle this window with the IPTC contents even if you can't change this just view it.
I am alway editing lots of images of Celebs and sometimes can't remember the name or if I am showing a client and they want to see the name.
(also a levels or curves adjustment would be good so as not to open photoshop and slow it all down :-)
Thanks
Steve

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: To be able to view IPTC in Preview window whilst editing and tagging
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 06:23:22 AM »
Steve,

I always edit my images in the preview window and would like to be able to see the caption while I am tagging/untagging.
At present I can only see the info, Is it possible to replace/toggle this window with the IPTC contents even if you can't change this just view it.
I am alway editing lots of images of Celebs and sometimes can't remember the name or if I am showing a client and they want to see the name.
(also a levels or curves adjustment would be good so as not to open photoshop and slow it all down :-)

Just add the {caption} variable to your Info Text.  Use Edit->Settings->Set Info Text...  Add the variables of the IPTC fields you wish to view.

No toggling necessary.

-Kirk

Offline Lenscap67

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 03:35:42 AM »
Thank you very much Kirk,
Thats exactly what I have been looking for.
ta

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 09:22:38 AM »
Kirk,

Have you ever considered making the IPTC fields displayed in the Info panel editable?  I ask because often I find the IPTC Info dialog too cumbersome (i.e. all the fields are displayed when I only use a few of them) and the image is too small (yes, I know you can zoom it, but that is yet another mouse click or keystroke), whereas the Info panel in the Preview dialog is customizable.

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 10:39:50 AM »
Deven,

Have you ever considered making the IPTC fields displayed in the Info panel editable?  I ask because often I find the IPTC Info dialog too cumbersome (i.e. all the fields are displayed when I only use a few of them) and the image is too small (yes, I know you can zoom it, but that is yet another mouse click or keystroke), whereas the Info panel in the Preview dialog is customizable.

It's just a simple scrolling text window.  It would take a lot of work to determine which variables you've used, which ones would be suitable for updating, and detecting and parsing any changed text.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 12:04:00 AM »
It's just a simple scrolling text window.  It would take a lot of work to determine which variables you've used, which ones would be suitable for updating, and detecting and parsing any changed text.

I would even go as far as saying that this is darn near impossible as the content of the "info text" is completely free and can contain plain text (ok, this could be parsed around with some difficulty), but more importantly: (variable-triggered) code replacements, computed variables and results of which there is no way they can be reverted back to an IPTC field.

This means the info text is not the way to achieve what you want. I guess the only way would be to come up with a new (and completely customisable) control for entering IPTC/XMP data. This will take some time coding though...
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl