Author Topic: Problem w/modifying times/dates when using CS3 Bridge (raw files)  (Read 6362 times)

Offline rmullns

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Recently one of my camera's was off exactly one hour from the other one. So I used PM to adjust the time. In PM all is well so I migrate to Bridge for proofing adjustments and the time reverts back to the one hour off problem ... I've used this tool before and it worked fine ... what am I missing ...

TIA,
robert

Mac OS X version 10.4.11
3 GB Ram
PM Version 4.5.4

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problem w/modifying times/dates when using CS3 Bridge (raw files)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 11:07:37 AM »
Robert,

Recently one of my camera's was off exactly one hour from the other one. So I used PM to adjust the time. In PM all is well so I migrate to Bridge for proofing adjustments and the time reverts back to the one hour off problem ... I've used this tool before and it worked fine ... what am I missing ...

I don't know offhand without seeing your files.  Are you working with RAW files or JPEGs?

-Kirk

Offline rmullns

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 11:15:58 AM »
Thanks Kirk ... RAW files ... funny thing is I've used this tool before and worked fine ... can't think of what I'm missing ...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 11:20:40 AM »
Robert,

Thanks Kirk ... RAW files ... funny thing is I've used this tool before and worked fine ... can't think of what I'm missing ...

Are you working with XMP sidecar files?

-Kirk

Offline rmullns

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 11:24:44 AM »
There are XMP files as these are images I received from a second shooter ...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 11:27:59 AM »
Robert,

There are XMP files as these are images I received from a second shooter ...

Please post a screenshot of your IPTC/XMP tab in the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog.  Use the 'Additional Options...' link while posting your reply to upload a JPEG image of the dialog.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline rmullns

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 11:34:01 AM »
Here it it ...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 11:39:28 AM »
Here it it ...

Looks fine, though I would suggest changing the Read order for your TIFF-based RAW files to prefer XMP sidecars first, then embedded IPTC, and last embedded XMP.

Would you like to send me a file that doesn't show up the way you expect in Bridge?  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.  You'll need to upload both the RAW file and the XMP file.

-Kirk

Offline rmullns

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 11:50:45 AM »
Sure I can do that ... first have a look at the two different files in bridge ... first one is a screenshot of the RAW files directly from download after I changed the time ... the second image is after I've chosen the selects and imported into another folder ... the third is the image in PM with the proper time of day after PM made it's adjustment ...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 02:43:57 PM »
Robert,

Sure I can do that ... first have a look at the two different files in bridge ... first one is a screenshot of the RAW files directly from download after I changed the time ... the second image is after I've chosen the selects and imported into another folder ... the third is the image in PM with the proper time of day after PM made it's adjustment ...

I got your sample files.  The issue is that Photo Mechanic does not update the following optional XMP fields:

<exif:DateTimeOriginal>2009-05-30T09:02:01-07:00</exif:DateTimeOriginal>
<exif:DateTimeDigitized>2009-05-30T09:02:01-07:00</exif:DateTimeDigitized>

Apparently Bridge is giving these values priority over the actual EXIF data contained in the RAW file itself.  We could change Photo Mechanic so that it updates these values as well but it would be in an update to version 4.6.

The reason the files that you're working with that don't exhibit the problem is because the files didn't have XMP sidecars before so they didn't have this duplicate EXIF data in the XMP.  So in this case Bridge must fall back and use the EXIF data from the RAW file directly.

It seems really odd that Adobe feels it is necessary to duplicate data.  I see no reason for it.  But we're going to have to update the duplicate data or it will be out of sync.

If you remove the XMP files, Bridge will then correctly see the adjusted Capture Time.

-Kirk

Offline rmullns

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 10:53:36 AM »
Thanks for all your help Kirk!

So, that begs another question ... is there a way to remove just the XMP files ... apparently my second made some adjustments to the images before burning them to a disk ...

thanks,
robert

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 11:49:17 AM »
Thanks for all your help Kirk!

So, that begs another question ... is there a way to remove just the XMP files ... apparently my second made some adjustments to the images before burning them to a disk ...

You'll have to delete them manually with the Finder.  PM has no facility for deleting them directly.

-Kirk

Offline rmullns

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 11:51:17 AM »
yikes!  OK thanks ...

appreciate all the help ...

robert

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 08:41:27 PM »
Robert,

PM Version 4.5.4

I have made a change for the next update version of 4.6 to update the XMP EXIF data if it exists.  You'll have to have the 'Update file IPTC/XMP date/time' checkbox checked in order for the XMP data to be updated by the 'Adjust Capture Dates and Times' tool.

You'll likely need to purchase an upgrade in order to use the 4.6 update.

-Kirk