Author Topic: odd monitor profile/PM interaction  (Read 6936 times)

Offline avitch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
odd monitor profile/PM interaction
« on: November 11, 2008, 05:44:16 PM »
Hi,

I just built my first monitor profile with X-Rite's colormunki device and software. Previously, I've used an i1 kit to do the job.

Using the i1 profiles, Photo Mechanic behaved as I would expect - images looked the same when viewed in PM, Photoshop, Lightroom, and any other color aware app.

As soon as I switched to the new colormunki profile, however, I noticed that images viewed in Photo Mechanic appeared overly bright and blown out. The same images look fine in Photoshop and Lightroom, but, oddly enough, they look similarly blown out when viewed with the Windows Vista media player.

If I switch back to an old i1 profile, everything looks fine again in all apps.

Here is my nitty gritty:

PM: 4.5.3.2
RAM: 4 BG

For what it is worth, I've attached a screen shot of my desktop showing the behavior.

Adam

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: odd monitor profile/PM interaction
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 08:42:34 PM »
Adam,

I just built my first monitor profile with X-Rite's colormunki device and software. Previously, I've used an i1 kit to do the job.

Using the i1 profiles, Photo Mechanic behaved as I would expect - images looked the same when viewed in PM, Photoshop, Lightroom, and any other color aware app.

As soon as I switched to the new colormunki profile, however, I noticed that images viewed in Photo Mechanic appeared overly bright and blown out. The same images look fine in Photoshop and Lightroom, but, oddly enough, they look similarly blown out when viewed with the Windows Vista media player.

If I switch back to an old i1 profile, everything looks fine again in all apps.

Photo Mechanic uses Microsoft's ICM (color management system) and I would imagine that Vista's Media Player uses it too.  Adobe uses its own proprietary color engine.  I suggest calling up X-Rite's support folks and describe the problem and see if they have a solution since they're the ones creating the ICC profiles that are causing fits for Microsoft's color engine.

-Kirk

Offline avitch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 03:50:11 AM »
Thanks. I suspected it would be something like that myself.

Offline avitch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 11:02:33 AM »
Here is the reply I received from X-Rite support after describing the problem:

"This issue is something that our development team is currently working on. The reason for the incompatibility is that the Windows platform, in particular Vista and Vista SP1, are not compatible with version 4 ICC profiles. The i1 Match and the i1 Products that use this software have the ability to generate version 2 ICC profiles which is why you are not seeing the incompatilbility issue.

This is being address with a future release to the software once the development team completes further testing."

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 11:42:55 AM »
Adam,

"This issue is something that our development team is currently working on. The reason for the incompatibility is that the Windows platform, in particular Vista and Vista SP1, are not compatible with version 4 ICC profiles. The i1 Match and the i1 Products that use this software have the ability to generate version 2 ICC profiles which is why you are not seeing the incompatilbility issue.

This is being address with a future release to the software once the development team completes further testing."

Good to know.  Thanks for following up.

-Kirk

Offline Thilo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 10:56:21 AM »

Update is available since today - Colormunki can now create V2 ICC-profiles and works as expected with PM :-)

Thilo
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 10:23:44 PM by Thilo »

Offline avitch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 12:58:52 PM »
I look forward to checking this via ColorMunki's built in update tool. According to the ColorMunki website, no software update has been issued since version 1.05, which was released on December 1, 2008.

Offline avitch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 07:11:47 PM »
I've checked for an update, but version 1.05 remains the current software available in the U.S.A. Where did you find the updated software?

Offline Thilo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 01:01:42 PM »
It was available since June 5 with the integrated upgrade tool, now it's also available on the website:

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?Action=support&ID=1115

-Thilo