Author Topic: 4.6.1 says "Another instance of PM is already running"  (Read 5724 times)

Offline ornate_wrasse

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
4.6.1 says "Another instance of PM is already running"
« on: June 07, 2009, 02:49:05 PM »
I purchased PM 4.5.4 in February 2009 for $135 before just the new version came out.  I just downloaded 4.6.1 and dragged it to the Applications folder where it appears in its own folder, separate and apart from the 4.5.4 version I purchased originally.   When I opened the new version, it says "Another instance of PM is already running.  This instance will now terminate..." 

What should I do to be able to use the new version? 

I'm using a Macbook Pro, OSX 10.4.11.

I have a couple other questions but I'll leave them to another post.

Thanks.

Ellen

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 4.6.1 says "Another instance of PM is already running"
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 04:41:03 PM »
Ellen,

I purchased PM 4.5.4 in February 2009 for $135 before just the new version came out.  I just downloaded 4.6.1 and dragged it to the Applications folder where it appears in its own folder, separate and apart from the 4.5.4 version I purchased originally.   When I opened the new version, it says "Another instance of PM is already running.  This instance will now terminate..." 

What should I do to be able to use the new version?

You already have an older version of Photo Mechanic that is currently running on your computer.  Just switch to it and Quit.  Then you should be able to launch PM 4.6.1.

-Kirk

Offline ornate_wrasse

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 08:48:30 PM »
I did as you suggested and I Quit the original version of PM, Version 4.5.4
Then I opened up 4.6 but it said "This beta version of PM has expired"

So, how do I get the more current version than the one I originally got in February 2009 (Version 4.5.4) up and working?  As I said in the Original Post, I am using a Macbook Pro OSX 10.4.11

The other question I had was that even though I'd like to upload images from the card to my computer using PM, my computer still insists on uploading using Nikon Transfer.  What can I do to make sure that every time I connect the USB cord from the card reader that PM will start ingesting images instead of Nikon Transfer.  I'm stumped on this one!

Thanks. 

Ellen

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 09:00:03 PM »
Ellen,

I did as you suggested and I Quit the original version of PM, Version 4.5.4
Then I opened up 4.6 but it said "This beta version of PM has expired"

So, how do I get the more current version than the one I originally got in February 2009 (Version 4.5.4) up and working?  As I said in the Original Post, I am using a Macbook Pro OSX 10.4.11

Please download the latest release version from our website:

http://www.camerabits.com

Quote from: ornate_wrasse
The other question I had was that even though I'd like to upload images from the card to my computer using PM, my computer still insists on uploading using Nikon Transfer.  What can I do to make sure that every time I connect the USB cord from the card reader that PM will start ingesting images instead of Nikon Transfer.  I'm stumped on this one!

In the Files tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog there is a button that Configures Image Capture to launch PM when a camera card is inserted.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline ornate_wrasse

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »
Kirk,

Unfortunately, I'm still unable to be able to use the newest version 4.6.1.  I have downloaded it several times.  It says to drag it to the applications folder.  I thought I did that, but when I open Photo Mechanic, it still says the version I'm using is 4.5.4.

I am not a computer nerd and am instead an aging baby boomer.  Everything has to be explained to me, unfortunately, in fairly simple terms.  

Once I download the newest version (4.5.1), what do I do after I download it to be able to make sure my version of PM is the latest one I've just downloaded?  Please explain in simple, step-by-step terms!

On another issue (Watermarking images with copyright)-

I have been able to figure out how to Watermark a single image by right clicking on the image, choosing Save As and checking the Watermark box.  What I haven't been able to do is to figure out how to Watermark a file folder of images.  When I have the entire folder open in the Contact Sheet, it doesn't have the Save As as a choice under the File menu like it does with a single image. I'm sure I'm missing something here.  I seem to remember something about using Export but I can't remember how to do it.  Again, I want to know how to put my Watermark on an entire folder of images.

One more question (on the Sending Photos via Email option)-

When I tried to use this option, it seemed to want to send images via the mac email which is not the email I use.  Is it possible to configure this option to use my XXXXX@msn.com  email account?  I haven't used the mac email since I bought this computer so I honestly don't know whether it's something that costs extra or is free.  I've never done anything to set it up, in any event.

Thank you so much for you help!

Ellen
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 07:21:10 PM by ornate_wrasse »

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 05:26:04 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm still unable to be able to use the newest version 4.6.1.  I have downloaded it several times.  It says to drag it to the applications folder.  I thought I did that, but when I open Photo Mechanic, it still says the version I'm using is 4.5.4.

I am not a computer nerd and am instead an aging baby boomer.  Everything has to be explained to me, unfortunately, in fairly simple terms. 

Once I download the newest version (4.5.1), what do I do after I download it to be able to make sure my version of PM is the latest one I've just downloaded?  Please explain in simple, step-by-step terms!

Hi Ellen,

First, I recommend that you remove Photo Mechanic from your Applications folder, so there is no confusion about what version has been installed. Now follow the installation procedure explained on this web page:http://www.camerabits.com/site/PMInstall-Mac.html

On another issue (Watermarking images with copyright)-

I have been able to figure out how to Watermark a single image by right clicking on the image, choosing Save As and checking the Watermark box.  What I haven't been able to do is to figure out how to Watermark a file folder of images.  When I have the entire folder open in the Contact Sheet, it doesn't have the Save As as a choice under the File menu like it does with a single image. I'm sure I'm missing something here.  I seem to remember something about using Export but I can't remember how to do it.  Again, I want to know how to put my Watermark on an entire folder of images.

Once you've opened your files into Photo Mechanic, you want to select them by using the Select All command located in the Edit menu (command-a). After making your selections, use the Save Photos As command from within the File menu to generate new files with the Watermark.

One more question (on the Sending Photos via Email option)-

When I tried to use this option, it seemed to want to send images via the mac email which is not the email I use.  Is it possible to configure this option to use my XXXXX@msn.com  email account?  I haven't used the mac email since I bought this computer so I honestly don't know whether it's something that costs extra or is free.  I've never done anything to set it up, in any event.

Photo Mechanic is unable to communicate directly with web-based email providers such as Gmail, Yahoo, or MSN. Email applications like Mac Mail, Eudora, or Entourage need to be setup to communicate with your web-based email provider, before Photo Mechanic is able to send Email.

If you would like help setting this up, then please contact our support department @ 1-503-547-2888.

Regards,
Jerry